Fixed wing...here I come!

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Jman

Site Developer
Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments. I wasn't sure how I would feel up there by myself but as it turned out it was just like Dana said - very peaceful but exciting. No white knuckles, just a big grin. It was about 8pm and there were some pretty spectacular thunder storm cells off in the distance giving me a nice evening show. I just wish it could have been longer.

Tomorrow I will be doing a couple of hours with the instructor and about an hour solo afterward. Can't wait.

Jman

Site Developer
Had another great flight on Saturday. We were supposed to start the dual lesson at 9AM but my instructor was running late and asked me to go out for an hour and practice my maneuvers out in the local area. I was all for it so I took off and flew about 15 miles west of the airport and did my power on and power off stalls. Not too bad but that first power off stall had a real break instead of the buffet and mush I'd seen before. Ground filled the windscreen in a hurry. Then I did some Steep turns left and right. Getting easier but not perfect. I can't get over how tremendous the control forces feel. I'm used to being able to hold a 60 degree bank angle with my pinky if I wanted to. I really got to watch myself because I seem to tend to release back pressure or allow it to come to a shallower bank angle if I don't concentrate on keeping stiff pressure.

After completing the maneuvers I came back into the pattern and by then my instructor was on the unicom. She asked me to do 3 full stop landings and to come on in to pick her up. My last landing was a bit squirrelly. I seem to REALLY like the left side of the runway for some reason. I have not landing right of centerline once yet. Strange. I ended up with 1.5 solo.

After a short break we headed out to practice some Short and Soft field take-offs and landings. We had not done these yet and I definitely need to work on them some more. After a couple of each we headed out for some more Stall practice. On my power off I forgot to bring it all the way to Idle and then after the stall forgot to push the carb heat in when going to full throttle. Oh well. On the way in Amber demonstrated a Short Field landing to end the lesson. Dang she's good!

I'm going to schedule some more solo this week and then we have our Cross Country flight this Saturday night. My son is coming along and I'm really looking forward to it. he's flown in a couple of bi-planes but never a spam can.

Anyway, enough for now. I'll post again after my next flight.

bmcj

Jake, Have you tried leading your turns with rudder? It can reduce the amount of force needed for the ailerons. Thee is a coordination practice maneuver (I'm sure your instructor has had you do them) where you roll back and forth from a left bank to a right bank, then back to a left and a right and so on in a non-stop fashion. It gives you a good feel for the rudder/aileron balance. Many instructors call it "dutch rolls", but I think that is a bit of a misnomer since I normally think of a dutch roll as an automatic reaction when a plane has insufficient yaw stability.

Bruce :)

skeeter_ca

The thing i noticed the most on my first solo was how the plane climbed alot faster and did not want to come down as easy for the landing. Of course in that small little Tomahawk 200lbs made a big difference.

skeeter

bmcj

The thing i noticed the most on my first solo was how the plane climbed alot faster and did not want to come down as easy for the landing. Of course in that small little Tomahawk 200lbs made a big difference.

skeeter
The thing I noticed most was the silence... no instructor screaming at me from the front seat (it was a J-3 Cub). :gig:

Loco

Super congratulations, (I have solo'ed " in three different countries), I shall ask which tradition would you like to follow:

German: flowers for you at the wing when you shut the engine off ( you are the dance queen)
Spanish: "baptism" with engine oil on your head, a "shower" from the firetruck, and then Paella and sangria....
Peruvian: the whole gang kicks you really hard on yer gluteus maximus ( one kick per chum) and then go to drink the whole bar...
American: they have you write something silly on your shirt and then cut it to hang it on the office.....

Im happy you are having real fun.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Congrats, Jake!!!

I'm with BMCJ - my first solo, once I relaxed a bit, was marked by the silence of it all. Followed by the sudden re-realization that the instructor wasn't with me in case I got into trouble. After that, I started talking to the airplane until I landed. ;)

Jman

Site Developer
Just got my Solo Cross Country out of the way today. 5.2 hour trip! I needed 5 hours to satisfy the requirement and I almost nailed it. Route was Statesboro, GA (TBR) / Savannah, GA (SAV) / Hilton Head, SC (HXD) / Charleston Executive (JZI) / Georgetown, SC (GGE) / Myrtle Beach, SC (MYR) / Orangeburge, SC (OGB) / Statesboro, GA (TBR). Flew right over the VP's TFR at Kiawah island (pictured below) and gave a special salute of respect. It was SFC to 3000 and I was at 5500.

I'm thinking I should need about 3 more hours of dual to finish my hood time and checkride prep and one or two more solo hours. After that I should be ready to roll the bones and see what happens. Yee haw!

Attachments

Captain_John

Jake,

I have been checking in from time to time and following your progress.

Let me just say, this is awesome!

I call the 172 the Skyhawg. It is so stodgy and ill-performing... but OTOH VERY PREDICTABLE!!!

Enjoy your training. I will keep in touch!

:) CJ

Jman

Site Developer
John! Great to hear from you. How's life these days?

Flying is cool but I'm enjoying building more. I'm really slow at it right now because I've been agonizing over the "Primer" issue, plus work is non-stop getting ready for this next deployment. But I'm really enjoying it.

Captain_John

Jake,

Things with me are AWESOME now that the dust has all settled in the divorce.

I am back to building and things are going great since I got back from OSH. I am working on the canopy and fitting the wings.

My beautiful girlfriend Karen sits in the garage with me working on her crafts while I work on the plane.

I have been watching your posts about primer and haven't had the chance to reply. Basically it all comes down to this, virtually any coating between the substrate and the environment will mitigate corrosion. It could be oil, vaseline or paint. Obviously, the paint is the best and most durable choice.

Just paint it and call it a day. Of course, many people do nothing at all and their planes are fine for a long time. I just like the paint because it looks good as well.

Keep it up!

Jman

Site Developer
Great to hear. Sounds like you've found yourself a keeper for sure.

Do you have a status page or website you are posting your progress to?

Captain_John

I don't maintain a website or anything. I just check in with updates.

Let me scare up some pix and I will post them up here soon.

Jman

Site Developer
Been a long while since my last update.

Just wanted to shout out that I'm now officially and airplane pilot! :ban:

Now...out to the garage to build an airplane.....