Fisher FP-101 Specs

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

lake_harley

Supporting Member
I came across a FP-101 for sale, more or less a project plane with no engine. Hoping to get a few photos from the owner and a bit more info about it, but while I wait I have a couple questions.

I have found a lot of specs on the FP-101 and the only engine mentioned is a 277 Rotax. Were there other "approved" engines to be used, and if there was I wonder what kind of HP and engine weight were deemed acceptable.

I'm thinking of building another plane (I'm an ex-MiniMAX builder) but restoring a mostly complete plane has some attraction compared to what I'm considering now which is starting with a cleared-off workbench and a set of plans.

Thanks

Lynn

goney3

Supporting Member
I am not a professional, but I tried looking up engines around the same weight (since I imagine Center of Gravity could be an issue?) this is what I came up with:

Current:
Rotax 277 - 26 HP, 65 LBS

Same Weight:
Badland 450R - 59 HP, 65 LBS (***"The 450 Fujita engine is our conceptual engine and we’re working on it when we have free time. We hope to have one flying in the near future.")

Heavier:

Simonini Victor 1 Super - 54 HP, 70.5 LBS
Spacek SE-33 - 33 HP, 70.5 LBS

Lighter:
Polini Thor 250 - 36 HP, 54 LBS

Electric (lighter or heavier):
OpenPPG SP140 - 175 lbs Thrust, 55-77 LBS (½ hr-1hr battery) total weight

Last edited:

goney3

Supporting Member
EDIT: OOPS, I was thinking of the FP-202 Koala, what is the FP-101 called? LOL

Oh, it looks like the FP-101 Koala can take an HP range of 28 to 50 and they recommend a Hirth F-33 engine (28 HP, 45 LBS) that definitely opens up the options!

n3puppy

I had a Fisher 101 project once ..... Gave up on it because the guy who built it did a terrible job on the wings. Became a "ground trainer" for Young eagles.

My plan was to use a 30hp free air Kawasaki 340. Don't remember the exact numbers but with a belt drive would have made part 103 without a chute. Weighed my project and a friends Kawi set up on a 202

All depends on who built it and how heavy they went. Mine had canvas sling seat instead of all wood. Tail Skid instead of wheel etc.

Attachments

• 7BF65996-7D9E-4365-B637-6FC6CE96EE03.jpeg
    7BF65996-7D9E-4365-B637-6FC6CE96EE03.jpeg
    24.4 KB · Views: 0

lake_harley

Supporting Member
Thanks for the info and suggestions. A friend of the seller sent some photos and I'm waiting a call-back from the seller. Might use it for a good excuse to go for a little, 500-ish Mi. round trip motorcycle ride later this week to see the plane in person. Thinking of taking my "calibrated" bathroom scale along just to see what the little bird weighs.

Lynn

TFF

Mostly quality of build is what I would look for. Not necessarily weight if it’s close. Restoration of junk is harder than building a new one. My plane is/was a project. Good value for the money for the right one. Even though it was a friend who sold me mine, there was stuff that I ended up redoing, that he was going to pass on.

Road-trip to see the plane seems like fun though.

lake_harley

Supporting Member
What I saw in the photos sent to me looked pretty good. One questionable thing in one photo though. It seems that sometime photos make things look better than they are, and sometime make things look worse than they really are.

Just waiting, waiting for a call from the owner.

Lynn

TFF

I always have to live with something so the new wears off. It all looks good until it sinks in. Not that it’s going to be a bad one. It took six months to figure out my vertical fin was displaced. My friend fixed the ribs, but was going to leave the bend, or didn’t notice it.

I'm in much the same boat, in that I'm building a 505 Skeeter and am turning myself inside out trying to decide on an engine. UK SSDR rules are a little different from your Part 103 regs but I still have to build a lightweight aircraft, 300kg / 660lb MTOW, including 230lb me. Right now the only 4-stroke engine with enough oomph I can consider is a 2-cylinder VW but there isn't a European manufacturer, incredibly, and US suppliers aren't interested.
This leaves the 2-stroke option as their power-to-weight ratios are fantastic. I want a new engine, as these cruise at 5-6,000 rpm so the wear rate is higher and a rebuild will become necessary sooner rather than later. Old Rotaxes were discontinued for a reason.
There's a mix of air and water cooled engines, I'm struggling to decide which is better, the weight of the radiator, etc balanced by quietness and the increased tolerance of air temperature changes versus the lightness and simplicity of the air cooled.
The only thing missing off goney3's list is the air cooled Hirth range. There's a 28hp single cylinder that weighs 27lbs or a 2-cylinder 50hp that weighs 48lbs and can be specified right up to fuel injection, so no carb heat issues. There isn't a UK importer so I approached the factory in Germany where the response was excellent - I'm sorely tempted.
I made an enquiry to the UK Simonini importer and have been ignored, although the Victor 1 is about perfect for me. I think the quality of the supplier is important so make some inquiries and see what happens. If they're no good at sales, what are they going to be like when there's a problem?
TFF is dead right about airframe restoration. How old is it, is all the glue and wood still sound, can you even get in there to check it? Looking at fabric isn't going to tell you anything. It may be better to build another MiniMax kit...
I genuinely wish you luck, keep us posted.

goney3

Supporting Member
... The only thing missing off goney3's list is the air cooled Hirth range. There's a 28hp single cylinder that weighs 27lbs or a 2-cylinder 50hp that weighs 48lbs and can be specified right up to fuel injection, so no carb heat issues. There isn't a UK importer so I approached the factory in Germany where the response was excellent - I'm sorely tempted ...
Hehehe, I have a massive list of engines I have been putting together over the years, my list recommendation was based on weight compared to the Rotax 277 🤓