Quantcast

Fisher Flying Products to spin off company offering electric propulsion system for the light plane market, starting at $10,000 for 25kW

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

John.Roo

It’s great that we are pushing forward and we all know that early adopters at the front edge of the innovation curve will carry a significant chunk of the time and money investment to get us there - eventually. In my non engineering mind the push to electric power needs to drive an entire ecosystem as well - including optimized aircraft (and other vehicles too) not to mention where the power is coming from to charge a growing fleet of vehicles. It would not surprise me one bit if we end up with a huge leap and that leap will bring a mature autonomous vehicle with it. The tech is basically already here except for the power density and resilience, right?
You are right - technology is here already :)
We can have on board 10 kW charger so it is possible to fly over 600 km a day. Of course with stops every 200-250 km, but you don´t need supercharger infrastructure. What we need is just to have on the airport access to 380-400 V standard socket. Still not like cruise flying with combustion engine, but also not anymore "flying arround local chimney" :)

TFF

Vary rare for a US hangar to have better than one lightbulb and maybe two 110v sockets. Yes there are some with industrial power three phase but rare and usually big hangars with expensive planes inside.

My airport, very average, the hangars used by the airport it’s self, all have human powered sliding doors and just enough light to figure out which plane is which at night. One is brand new 100x100. My company’s hangar has 220 for the door. Electric infrastructure at US airports is minimal. You will have to take batteries home to an only marginally better setup if you want to charge. The 15,000 airports in the US are not going to jump on it either without government subsidizes, and those are not happening either. Not in this economic climate.

John.Roo

Vary rare for a US hangar to have better than one lightbulb and maybe two 110v sockets. Yes there are some with industrial power three phase but rare and usually big hangars with expensive planes inside.

My airport, very average, the hangars used by the airport it’s self, all have human powered sliding doors and just enough light to figure out which plane is which at night. One is brand new 100x100. My company’s hangar has 220 for the door. Electric infrastructure at US airports is minimal. You will have to take batteries home to an only marginally better setup if you want to charge. The 15,000 airports in the US are not going to jump on it either without government subsidizes, and those are not happening either. Not in this economic climate.
That is pitty... and very good to know.
In EU we have 400 V sockets on every aeroclub airfield.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Where is all the electric coming from ? Going to have to decide or stay with coal and NG or not and live with your decisions .
Now if I can get my anti-gravity engine spinning, problems solved. :)

pictsidhe

Banned
The really big problem right now is convincing people that they aren't getting electric conversions for draggy GA type aircraft for many, many years.

Motorglider type aircraft can be done today. You want electric? It has to come with low drag and plenty of span.

Speedboat100

The really big problem right now is convincing people that they aren't getting electric conversions for draggy GA type aircraft for many, many years.

Motorglider type aircraft can be done today. You want electric? It has to come with low drag and plenty of span.

Plenty of span if 2 or 4-seater.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Yes, and for many of us, that span presents a problem.

Would also note that Sweden’s geography is favorable for hydroelectric generation. Here in the SE USA, many environmental groups actively oppose hydroelectric facilities on rivers, and advocate removal of existing facilities. Some don’t even consider hydro to be “renewable”.

BJC

BJC

HBA Supporter
How does electric powered performance compare between the long and short wing?

Range, endurance, RoC, etc.

Thanks,

BJC

John.Roo

With 15,0 m wing extensions I need 11-12 kW of power for horizontal flight.
With 10,6 m winglets I need approx. 14-15 kW for horizontal flight.
Speed between 110-130 km/h.
I am flying more with long wings, however is good idea to make direct measurement in same conditions to see exact difference :)
Phoenix short.jpg

Last edited:

jandetlefsen

HBA Supporter
Where is all the electric coming from ? Going to have to decide or stay with coal and NG or not and live with your decisions .
Plenty of countries where that is not true. You can just shop your provider and type of energy source with a mouse click.

Speedboat100

With 15,0 m wing extensions I need 11-12 kW of power for horizontal flight.
With 10,6 m winglets I need approx. 14-15 kW for horizontal flight.
Speed between 110-130 km/h.
I am flying more with long wings, however is good idea to make direct measurement in same conditions to see exact difference :)

How about the version with retractable LG ?

Speedboat100

Finland has increased the solarpower and windenergy production....wind is really taking big steps. Also a huge french built nuclear power station is almost ready to roll. Long time ago the rivers were harnessed for electricity production.

John.Roo

How about the version with retractable LG ?
Retractible LG makes sense when you need to go faster. At low speeds is difference really small. With high extra costs when you forget to extend the undercarriage before landing :) And of course.... retractible gear adds extra weight.
For normal sport flying in aeroclub is more source of problems than advantage, but I agree that looks cool :cool:

John.Roo

Finland has increased the solarpower and windenergy production....wind is really taking big steps. Also a huge french built nuclear power station is almost ready to roll. Long time ago the rivers were harnessed for electricity production.
Generally I noticed that highest interest in electric airplanes comes from Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Switzerland. And seems that Finland will follow :)

kennyrayandersen

I'm thinking carbon dragon + 20% wing area and 50lb for self-launching. Could start with a bungee cord launch and 3-5 minute climb with 2 minute reserve. My guess is 15 HP would get the job done. The Archaeopteryx EV is 51 lb. I don't really think motor glider exactly, but more of a self-launch ultralight sail plave. Technically, since it has a motor it should could weight 254 lb, no?