Firts time on film a mother Sherpa giving birth to a baby Sherpa

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Derswede

Now to go find one that has been " thrown away," mount an engine on it, repack the ballistic chute and see if it makes apt. 103 weight! Folding wings and all. Wonder when those will start showing up at Milit. Surplus auctions, or on EBay! Most will be likely marked as USMilitary and be destroyed after use or release.

Pity, add landing gear and power plant, you may have a neat " military" bird. Wonder if you could park it with the warbirds at Oshkosh?

Derswede

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
"I bought this Marine glider from DRMO, put a Rotax on the nose. It flies fine, but there's something screwy with it. No matter where I take off, it tries to crash at 29 Palms."

Last edited:

Bill-Higdon

"I bought this Marine glider from DRMO, put a Rotax on the nose. It flies fine, but there's something screwy with it. No matter where I take off, it tries to crash at 29 Palms."
Lat I heard it was 29 Stumps, not that I've been there, closest I've been is MCLB Termo. And you never no it might try to go to MCAS Yuma

Derswede

Oh, I am hurting! Was showing the above video to a couple of flying friends...while it was showing the "nose first landing" under the 'chute, another friend (A&P, CFI, Ex-Mil, flew for years in New Guinea) who saw it from a few feet away and who had not seen the first part of the video, saw the 'chute deploy and asked, "Hey, is that one of those Cirrus airplanes with the parachute landing gear?" Several of us may have to go to the hospital for side strains. Guy was serious and has more time than half of us put together, so I had to explain myself to Roger, so that he was not offended. He wants to do the same if he could find one, put a set of spring gear on it and a decent engine and see if it would fly ok!

Derswede

Victor Bravo

I think one of my EAA chapter members is involved with this program, or if not then another one really similar. I remember him discussing it at a chapter meeting.

Although this prototype appears to be made of cardboard or super-cheap wood for a "single use" mission, it loooks like this same glider executed in composite with radar absorbing coatings could deliver a special ops soldier or SEAL, etc. like we discussed on another thread. I'll bet it has 12-15 to 1 glide even in the square box shape of a Sherpa.

I'm not sure what the design payload for this glider is, I'm guessing that 300-350 pounds is what you'd need for a moderately equipped soldier.