• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

First X-Country in the Citabria!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain_John

Yesterday I departed KPYM for Maine in all that wind we had! I landed at Twitchell's (3B5) which is famous for seaplane instruction. I tied down for the night and attended a barbecue at my buddies place nearby.

Winds were right down the runways and the trip was a most exciting one.

Two problems did arise with the Citabria though. My altimeter was stuck at altitude when I returned to earth. Not much of a problem really, as I used data from the GPS for entry into the pattern and it was resolved on the ground by a local mechanic. Our guess is the altimeter is gettin on in years and the internals are binding. The static port was clear and the VSI was unaffected, so that corroborates the failing instrument theory.

The other squawk were the fuel caps. The seal on the left side tank was not good. I lost all it's contents inside of 30 minutes! I stopped to confirm the lack of contents visually and refuel. I swapped caps from left to right and took off to monitor the slighly changed set of circumstances. The right cap now leaked but to a lesser extent. Looks like we have a bad cap on our hands.

Overall, it was a fun experience and I enjoyed my first tailwheel traveling experience!

:D CJ

Back