First time flyer and builder

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Frosty83

First and foremost. Thank you for accepting my request to join. My name is Robert. I live in east Texas. I am 39 years old and I really thought this is too old to learn how to fly and too old to start building my own aircraft. I’ve often looked in the sky and being jealous of the many pilots getting to fly around. I was going down the rabbit hole of YouTube and came across a guy who finds old aircraft and gets them running and flys home. It got my wheels turning in my head. I am colorblind and learning that it makes it hard to get a pilots certification I was kind of bummed out. Then the world of part 103 jumped out at me. That was a game changer. I have been looking and researching planes and I know my wife is tired of me showing her planes lol. I came across the Texas Parasol. The design and shape and power plant options really appealed to me. I bought my plans yesterday and I am printing them out as we speak. I am so excited to have my own plane and start this adventure. My goal is to fly with the birds and make some fly ins and get togethers. I am so glad to be here to learn more about my new addiction and meet some addicts just like me.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome!

You're not necessarily limited to part 103; if you have a drivers license you can get a sport pilot certificate (2 seat aircraft max) which requires no medical.

Frosty83

Welcome!

You're not necessarily limited to part 103; if you have a drivers license you can get a sport pilot certificate (2 seat aircraft max) which requires no medical.
Ok awesome I will definitely do that then. Thank you so much.

Sport Pilot all the way . Look up what all is available in that catagory . Some limitations but unbelievable what you can do . Had my license for 42 years but wouldn't ever consider applying for another flight physical . Too easy for someone having a bad day to pass it on to you :pilot: 🐒

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
You are NOT too old to start an airplane at 39!!! That is well below the age of the average builder.
Heck, I've got 15 years on you, Frosty83, I've been flying off and for 30+ years, and I still haven't finished my U.S. PPL. I don't want to rain on your parade in terms of the Texas Parasol but it is not a design that has a great reputation in terms of the engineering behind it. There are many other proven designs that you might take a look at depending what type of light airplane and what sort of construction style appeal to you. Don't be fooled by cheap or free plans as the cheapest, the simplest designs you can build are still likely to run $10,000 and up, so getting unclear or unproven plans at a bargain price is penny wise but pound foolish.

JonL62021

Hi Robert,

Just so you are aware up front, colorblindness/color deficiency isn't as limiting as it sounds. I failed that portion of my class 3 medical, and am only not allowed to fly at night, or by tower light gun signals. There are still options open to me to remove this restriction that I haven't gotten around to yet.

If you know you will stay Sport Pilot/Part 103, you can avoid the class 3 medical, as receiving a denial can remove the sport pilot option. If you ever decide you want to go PPL or more, just talk to someone first (AME consultation or a pilot that has delt with medical issues maybe) to be sure you will be issued. Maybe someone with more experience can add comments if they think I may have missed something important.

So hope that information helps give you a better picture! As far as building goes, I am 35 and just started building. I started flying in 2019 and only got my PPL last year. I'd say you are definitely not too old to build and fly. Honestly, if you looked at a picture of my EAA chapter, you would be on the younger side!

Good luck!
Jon

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
I am colorblind and learning that it makes it hard to get a pilots certification I was kind of bummed out.
I have a color deficiency. That is nearly a non issue.

Can you see the difference between red, green and yellow traffic lights?

You do not need to see the numbers on the standard color (Ishihara Plate) vision test with all the little dots of various colors and shades.

If you can determine the aviation signal colors of red, green and white you can get a letter of demonstrated ability and do not need to take the color test for a FAA medical.

The tower at most any Class D airport should be able to demonstrate their light gun if you request it.

TFF

I find that what looks easiest, isn’t. There is usually something being left up to the builder, that shouldn’t be. The hard looking ones tend to have it all figured out.

As for colorblind, it depends. I have known color blind people pass the light gun test, which is the only time a tower ever gets to use it, unless you ask.

Aviation is strange. Get an evaluation medical exam from an air doctor. They will know the ways to handle issues. Tell them it’s an evaluation not for a license.

Frosty83

I can only see the yellow for traffic lights. I went to the military and failed all the color testing at MEPS. I still became. medic though.

Sasha78

Heck, I've got 15 years on you, Frosty83, I've been flying off and for 30+ years, and I still haven't finished my U.S. PPL. I don't want to rain on your parade in terms of the Texas Parasol but it is not a design that has a great reputation in terms of the engineering behind it. There are many other proven designs that you might take a look at depending what type of light airplane and what sort of construction style appeal to you. Don't be fooled by cheap or free plans as the cheapest, the simplest designs you can build are still likely to run $10,000 and up, so getting unclear or unproven plans at a bargain price is penny wise but pound foolish.
Hi! you really think the Texas Parasol is a failed design? Why? I also like this plane because it very simply...

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
Hi! you really think the Texas Parasol is a failed design? Why? I also like this plane because it very simply...

I have no first-hand knowledge of the Texas Parasol, Chuckbird, or Affordaplane but as I understand it they are all related designs and the general consensus is that some of the aluminum angle-based structure is questionable. It doesn’t help that there are varying generations of free or paid plans floating around the internet or offered for sale so it’s hard to tell exactly what version anyone is talking about.

For a light, parasol- or high-wing single-seater then I’d suggest one of the many other options out there: Milholland Legal Eagle family, Fisher FP-202/505/606, TEAM HiMax, Airdrome Dream family or Morane-Saulnier replica, etc. For something firmly in the LSA family with a larger engine then there are the Corben Ace and Pober Pixie, Luton Minor, and, of course, Eric Clutton’s FRED.

Reactions: BJC

Sasha78

I have no first-hand knowledge of the Texas Parasol, Chuckbird, or Affordaplane but as I understand it they are all related designs and the general consensus is that some of the aluminum angle-based structure is questionable. It doesn’t help that there are varying generations of free or paid plans floating around the internet or offered for sale so it’s hard to tell exactly what version anyone is talking about.

For a light, parasol- or high-wing single-seater then I’d suggest one of the many other options out there: Milholland Legal Eagle family, Fisher FP-202/505/606, TEAM HiMax, Airdrome Dream family or Morane-Saulnier replica, etc. For something firmly in the LSA family with a larger engine then there are the Corben Ace and Pober Pixie, Luton Minor, and, of course, Eric Clutton’s FRED.
Thank you very much for your advice

SpruceForest

Welcome to HBA! I'll be relocating to the DFW region very soon; look me up!!!
Professional move or preference for a little more elbow room and a lot less in the way of the Calli-East stuff?

Welcome to Frosty83! Amazing what you can accomplish with steady effort and a defined objective.

Last edited:

mikoman

Supporting Member
First and foremost. Thank you for accepting my request to join. My name is Robert. I live in east Texas. I am 39 years old and I really thought this is too old to learn how to fly and too old to start building my own aircraft. I’ve often looked in the sky and being jealous of the many pilots getting to fly around. I was going down the rabbit hole of YouTube and came across a guy who finds old aircraft and gets them running and flys home. It got my wheels turning in my head. I am colorblind and learning that it makes it hard to get a pilots certification I was kind of bummed out. Then the world of part 103 jumped out at me. That was a game changer. I have been looking and researching planes and I know my wife is tired of me showing her planes lol. I came across the Texas Parasol. The design and shape and power plant options really appealed to me. I bought my plans yesterday and I am printing them out as we speak. I am so excited to have my own plane and start this adventure. My goal is to fly with the birds and make some fly ins and get togethers. I am so glad to be here to learn more about my new addiction and meet some addicts just like me.
I was 32 whenI got mine. Building/finishing 2 aircraft now. Most of us on the site enjoy building, using our hands.There are no cheap hobbies. It is what you commit to and choose. Buy a motorcycle, a boat, an RV for camping, a ATV-UTV all not cheap, try a round or two of golf a week and price of bag clubs, scuba diving. Tried them all and don't forget the most expensive....having kids. They force you to have money and time and most of us did that, but they also took most of our time and money...LOL
You want to fly start/ join the Civil Air Patrol. You can rent their aircraft for 1/2 price of a flight school and at Knoxville TN chapter flight time in there redbird type sim for 1/3 the retail price. At Tullahoma you can do gliders a nice intro to flying. You do not need a medical until it is time for your solo. Again it can be done. Go for it you will not regret it. Don't let life and opportunities pass u by. Go to some fly-ins, join EAA. You already made the jump by being on this site. Remember your high school days was over 20 yrs for u now and skip to 20 more and you are almost 60 lots of time to do things even when life gets in the way.Good luck with any and all of your future endeavors.