Quantcast

First Submissions For the Calendar Photo Contest

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Voyeurger

Coming Upon Tahoe looking north.jpgTopping Sierras Looking South.jpgSummit Cleared_South View.jpgAmarillo Windsock.jpgSummit Cleared_North View.jpgCarson City_Nevada.jpgClearing summit to Tahoe.jpgA look north at Donner Lake.jpgSummit Growing at Dawn.jpgEmerald Bay_Tahoe.jpg.... in case there ever is a calendar Photo Contest.;)

Six days ago I flew my little Cessna over the big Sierra Nevada mountain at Lake Tahoe's Donner Summit. I was delivering the plane to the guy that bought it in Amarillo, Texas.
In any case, I was real happy with the way some of the photos turned out.:gig:

Jake, please accept as submissions for any future photo related Forum business.

Last edited:

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Beautiful composition and framing in several of these, but can we discuss white balance for a moment? :speechles

Jman

Site Developer
Sounds good V. Might as well make this the official 2012 HBA calendar photo contest. The twelve photos selected will get something cool for free. Probably a free calendar with a chance to win something even cooler.

Rule 1: Must be your own photo.

Rule 2: Only 1 entry per person. If you take a better photo before the end of the contest, you can replace your entry by posting the new photo later in the thread.

Rule 3: Post the low res version in the thread but be ready to send the high res version once the contest is complete.

Rule 4: *Reserved for the good idea fairy*

Ok, lets see what you've got.

skeeter_ca

Not to add rules or anything but since this is a Homebuilt Airplane Forum shouldn't it be of a homebuilt airplane?

Voyeurger

Not to mention fun (and safe) for the whole family. Ahem.
Bikinis are fun.

Beautiful composition and framing in several of these, but can we discuss white balance for a moment?
I am an artist. Balancing colors is handled by the editorial staff. (Thanks for the compliment. Stupid camera, I don't know why they all had a blue tinge. Must investigate.)

Voyeurger

Not to add rules or anything but since this is a Homebuilt Airplane Forum shouldn't it be of a homebuilt airplane?
Most photos of homebuilt planes would, I believe, be construction photos. And, riveting (hee hee) though they may be, they are not suitable to a calendar. I vote for ANY photo related to flight. Let the judges kick them to the curb if they aren't worthy by some measure. I like the idea of a swimsuit model launching a little glider. Hey, THAT'S homebuilt!

Voyeurger

Sounds good V. Might as well make this the official 2012 HBA calendar photo contest. The twelve photos selected will get something cool for free. Probably a free calendar with a chance to win something even cooler.

Rule 1: Must be your own photo.

Rule 2: Only 1 entry per person. If you take a better photo before the end of the contest, you can replace your entry by posting the new photo later in the thread.

Rule 3: Post the low res version in the thread but be ready to send the high res version once the contest is complete.

Rule 4: *Reserved for the good idea fairy*

Ok, lets see what you've got.
Woo Hoo!
You haven't even SEEN my good stuff. I'll go to my archive and do a formal single submission (after balancing the white).
Are you saying that, if our submission is rejected for any reason we can submit another photo? And if we want, we can replace our single submission photo any time with a different photo that we think stands a better chance of winning? We shooting for calendar year 2012 or 2013? What's the final submission deadline?
Thanks Jake.

Jman

Site Developer
I would say that all aviation related photos are eligible provided they are wholesome (hear that V?). However, seeing that HBA is centered on homebuilding, I would think photos of flying homebuilts or unique workshop photos might have the edge. That's just my gut feeling at the moment. As we get closer to the deadline we can hammer out how they will be judged. If we go with popular vote, I may not have much of a say.
Are you saying that, if our submission is rejected for any reason we can submit another photo? And if we want, we can replace our single submission photo any time with a different photo that we think stands a better chance of winning?
Yes and Yes.

We shooting for calendar year 2012 or 2013? What's the final submission deadline?
2012 calendar.

What's the final submission deadline?
Let's shoot for August 1st.

Jman

Site Developer
I figured this thread would have exploded with photos by now. I know there are some closet shutterbugs out there. Let's see some of your work. Now is your chance to get published!

PTAirco

My contribution. Grass roots aviation, still alive and thriving at Flabob airport.

(Actual picture is much higher resolution than this.)

Attachments

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
How on earth does one choose just one???? Here is the first take:

AAATX2010_33.jpg

A beautifully restored Luscombe Silvaire Sedan, attending the AAA Texas Fly-In in Gainesville, TX.

Jake, how do you want us to update our entries if we change our mind? New post?

Edit: Oops, I see you already covered that. "If you take a better photo before the end of the contest, you can replace your entry by posting the new photo later in the thread."

Last edited:

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
A tip for people posting images - be careful about your choice in terms of how it will need to be cropped for the final calendar. Calendar pages are nearly square, or slightly landscape (horizontal). Keep that in mind while making your selections.

Here's one of mine I've always liked:

IMG_0601.jpg

Monty

I wanted to put in one I had of a Corsair...and the one I had of the P-51....In the end I decided this is a better calender shot.

100_2633.jpg

CAVU

Last edited: