First Hand account of Control Stick fail w/Bailout

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
That was some good, quick thinking on his part! Glad he made it out okay!

Southron

Reading about that Acro Sport accident reminded me of a long ago incident:

Back in the mid-1960's I was attending Burnside-Ott Aviation Academy at the Opa Locka, Florida airport. I was a Student Pilot and during a steep climb out from Runway 9L in a school Cessna 150, the entire Yoke came out of the instrument panel!!!

OOPS!!!

Astonished, I looked at the Yoke for a split second and then threw it over my shoulder into the space behind the seats. I reached over with my right hand and grabbed the Yoke for the right seat and flew the airplane that way until I was well out over the Everglades.

Then I did some Clearing Turns and when I saw I was alone in the sky, I climbed out of the left seat and over into the right seat.

Then I turned the little Cessna around and headed back to Opa Locka. After I landed, I simply taxied the airplane to the Burnside-Ott hangar where mechanics worked, shut down the airplane and walked in the hangar carrying that loose Yoke in my hand. Needless to say, the mechanics were very interested in my story!

Glad the Acro Sport pilot made it out of his airplane O.K., I just hope he had a good insurance policy on that airplane! Like my Daddy used to say: "Son...a gun is like a parachute; if you really, really need one-there is absolutely no substitute!"

Group Builder