• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

First glider flight today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inverted Vantage

Formerly Unknown Target
Hey everyone, thought I'd share this :) As part of the club I started, we got a discount at a local glider club (Dansville Soaring Club, Dansville, NY). Went up today on my first flight in a glider. First of all, that tow takeoff is a BLAST! It's like being on a catapult on an aircraft carrier; and the tandem bubble cockpit is awesome, felt like a jet fighter :). We get up and with the bright yellow towplane in front of us, bobbing up and down as the instructor talks to me (no headsets!) - was completely picturesque. He released us at 2,000 feet and we spent about 40 minutes searching for lift, gliding up and down the ridge near the field. Even got to fly it myself! Those things are really rudder sensitive, I was stomping on the pedals to get the nose over and centered into the turn. Got a little queesy from all the hard turns too, trying to stay in the lift columns. Was a blast though, and the landing was also amazing - those air brakes sure can slow a plane down fast!

Some pictures :)

1107091539-00.jpg

1107091539-01.jpg

1107091539-02.jpg

Back