• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

First flight on my Pitts went well

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wally

A friend who has an S-1S Pitts similar to mine flew N13WK for a little while Sat morning.

The flight went just fine. He came down after about 15 minutes since the cilinder head temp and oil temp were both staying kinda high. I expected that would be the case since the engine is not completly broken in and I thought I may need to open the cooling air outlet a little more.
I think he said cruse was about 115mph. His plane is about 15 mph faster mostly because of his canopy and wheel pants. I plan to add them to mine eventually.

I was amazed how steep it climbed. I forgot to ask how high he was when he turned into the pattern but after takeoff to about 2500 ft down the runway, he had gotten high. It looked like he was going up at about 30 to 40 degrees! Lateral trim was fine and he said it was just a bit nose heavy - he is a lightweight guy and thaat was also expected since he was flying at the forward CG limit. There is no elevator trim. Another thing to add later.

Another thing - the straight exhaust pipes were very audible - and sounded really sweet to me.

When he taxiied back, I though there was a big oil leak since I saw the top of the lower wing was wet. I opened the cowl and the engine was clean and dry. Then we looked closer at the wing and it was just wet grassy dew from the runway!

Now I need to get myself ready to fly it!
Take care and best wishes,
Wally

Back