First flight on my Pitts went well

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

wally

A friend who has an S-1S Pitts similar to mine flew N13WK for a little while Sat morning.

The flight went just fine. He came down after about 15 minutes since the cilinder head temp and oil temp were both staying kinda high. I expected that would be the case since the engine is not completly broken in and I thought I may need to open the cooling air outlet a little more.
I think he said cruse was about 115mph. His plane is about 15 mph faster mostly because of his canopy and wheel pants. I plan to add them to mine eventually.

I was amazed how steep it climbed. I forgot to ask how high he was when he turned into the pattern but after takeoff to about 2500 ft down the runway, he had gotten high. It looked like he was going up at about 30 to 40 degrees! Lateral trim was fine and he said it was just a bit nose heavy - he is a lightweight guy and thaat was also expected since he was flying at the forward CG limit. There is no elevator trim. Another thing to add later.

Another thing - the straight exhaust pipes were very audible - and sounded really sweet to me.

When he taxiied back, I though there was a big oil leak since I saw the top of the lower wing was wet. I opened the cowl and the engine was clean and dry. Then we looked closer at the wing and it was just wet grassy dew from the runway!

Now I need to get myself ready to fly it!
Take care and best wishes,
Wally

PTAirco

Congratulations, it must be awesome feeling to watch your own creation actually leave the ground.

Captain_John

Wally, That is really AWESOME!

How long before you are ready to fly it?

I can't wait to be in the completions column!

CONGRATS!

:ban: CJ

wally

Just keep at it and you too will be posting a completion and first flight!

It may take me a month or two to get myself ready and legal to fly it. I need to renew my medical, get a BFR, get a tailwheel endorsement and get some dual in a open cockpit biplane. I do have some tailwheel time but kept running out of $$ before I could do good wheel landings so I could get signed off.

However, after about 3 hours of running it up and down the runway slow and fast, I am sure I can do a takeoff and fly it just fine. It accelerates fast and takeoff will be pretty quick and easy. It weighs 745lbs and has 160hp.

I could probably land it too if I had a huge flat grass field into the wind. I have been fast enough in it to be floating along so the wheels were only touching the tops of the grass and was able to get stopped just fine. I could not have done that the first few times I taxiied it but it isn't as difficult as the legend has it.

But there is no rush now and I will fly it when I am sure I won't roll it up in a ball on landing!
Wally

Craig

Congrats, Wally - a good job well done. Please let us know when you fly it - I predict gallons of adrenalin flowing.........

etterre

Congrats - must have been a beautiful sight.
I only hope I can contain myself and be as careful and safe as you are being when my time comes...

Group Builder