• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

First flight issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Finally, after 6 months of working on my Fisher 404, I finally flew it today! The 40HP Mosler (1083 displacement) ran like a champ, except for two little issues I'll get to. Performance was "adequate" if not stellar, about 400 fpm, not surprising with a 40HP engine in an airplane designed for a 48HP 503... but the sound and fuel burn sure are better!

The previous owners of the plane did some experimenting with props (I got four props with the plane). The current, supposedly "best" prop, turns 3000 rpm static, about 3200 during climb. Do those numbers sound right?

The original owner tried 3 props... a Catto 56x24, a Peery 58x24, and a Catto 55x24. When I measured the actual pitch on these (from the back face angle at 80% radius), I got 27.5", 25.7, and 20.7 pitch, respectively. He liked the 56x24 best, said the others were a "little weak". He flew at 4000' above sea level, and noted 600-800fpm, which I didn't see.

The second owner, flying close to sea level (as am I), also like the 56x24 best, then bought a new prop, marked 56x26, but it measures 27.5" pitch, the same as the Catto. He seemed to like this new one the best, and that's the one I flew with today.

If I'm turning 3200 rpm during climb, which should be the rpm for max hp, I probably won't get much improvement, but I welcome input.

After some taxi runs and a crow hop, I returned to the hangar for a final check before the first full flight. I had a hard time restarting the engine after a half hour or so break, took about 20 minutes. I thought it was flooded, when it didn't start right up I choked it again and fuel dripped from the carb, but I pulled the plugs and they were dry. Eventually it did start, and it ran fine... ???

I had no problems while flying, did a bunch of touch and goes, then on the last landing the engine quit as I rolled to a stop. Got out and propped it, it started right up again. Could be the idle was a bit too low?

Dana

Back