First attempt to build which airplane?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

sleeperrx7

Hey SleeperX7,

Have you considered finding your local EAA chapter. I just did a search and there are loads of them in Ohio. Unsure how close to you, but it is worth a try. I joined my local chapter here in Los Angeles since I dont have the space to build either. Rather then jump in feet first and build something for myself, I have decided to get involved in our club project (Cygnet SF2a) and I figured by doing so, I will also learn many of the skills I will need to build a plane of my own. Also while being there, my choices in planes I would like have changed many times. Before i never owuld have considered a metal airframe because i had no experience in sheet metal; my composite skills are strong. Yet after helping on a Sonex and also a little on an RV9 I am becoming more open to it each day. More so the pop rivet construction over the rivets in the RV.

Also ny joining the EAA club, i have been exposed to more people who fly then I coudl ever imagine. It is a great way to meet people who fly and who are builind or have built. The Have built part is nice since you can get rides in some very interesting planes from members.

Hope this helps.

Marc
Just curious, but if your composite skills are strong, why would you not immediately go that route? If you compare the two having experience with both now, which in your opinion is the easiest/best? Pros vs. cons.

sleeperrx7

Hey SleeperX7,

Have you considered finding your local EAA chapter. I just did a search and there are loads of them in Ohio. Unsure how close to you, but it is worth a try. I joined my local chapter here in Los Angeles since I dont have the space to build either. Rather then jump in feet first and build something for myself, I have decided to get involved in our club project (Cygnet SF2a) and I figured by doing so, I will also learn many of the skills I will need to build a plane of my own. Also while being there, my choices in planes I would like have changed many times. Before i never owuld have considered a metal airframe because i had no experience in sheet metal; my composite skills are strong. Yet after helping on a Sonex and also a little on an RV9 I am becoming more open to it each day. More so the pop rivet construction over the rivets in the RV.

Also ny joining the EAA club, i have been exposed to more people who fly then I coudl ever imagine. It is a great way to meet people who fly and who are builind or have built. The Have built part is nice since you can get rides in some very interesting planes from members.

Hope this helps.

Marc

Only problem in Ohio is no one is flying much. Even the homebuilt guys. It is slow. I wish I knew what the world of aviation was like when it was busy in these areas. I could only imagine. Its rare for me to pump 70 gallons or more of Avgas/100LL at my home airport for one plane. Wish I could have been around when the radials ruled the sky. Some days are good, others just slow. I pump thousands of gallons of Jet-A though. Multi-million dollar aircraft are pretty bad a$$ at times! I'll have to check in on the local EAA stuff. Sounds fun and your right, I would learn quite a bit of usefull knowledge.

rheuschele

Nope. It's classifiable the same as a "yard barn" or, at most, a detached garage. If it's not permanently anchored into the ground and not intended as a residential or commercial structure, it is generally not beholden to most building or fire codes in most jurisdictions. Zoning would not be an issue unless you're trying to run a business out of it (and even then there are ways around that). Even if you need a building permit, it would be no different than requesting one for a detached garage which often simply just requires a few pages of paperwork and a nominal fee.
Sounds great, but not by me. You're not even supposed to change your water heater without a permit. Imagine that.

buzzypeterson

What is wrong with wood? I mean how about something like a pietenpol? Light cheap simple! Or how about a legal eagle. I built on a wing for one of them and it was an easy work in the living room kind of thing. All the wing rib material for the whole plane was only like 160 bucks.... then you build a few spars and bam you have a wing!

rheuschele

You could always see if there is a bigger apartment (more bedrooms) available so you could build many of the smaller
components. The gas money you would save going to a shop would probably pay for the extra bedroom.

sleeperrx7

What is wrong with wood? I mean how about something like a pietenpol? Light cheap simple! Or how about a legal eagle. I built on a wing for one of them and it was an easy work in the living room kind of thing. All the wing rib material for the whole plane was only like 160 bucks.... then you build a few spars and bam you have a wing!
I just don't care for wood/fabric. I have never seen anything that has impressed me like sheetmetal or composite has. Whittman Tailwind 10 is close, but that's about it. The goal is a 190 mph plane, just not sure what it will be yet.

SVSUSteve

I just don't care for wood/fabric. I have never seen anything that has impressed me like sheetmetal or composite has. Whittman Tailwind 10 is close, but that's about it. The goal is a 190 mph plane, just not sure what it will be yet.
GP-4? Falco? If you want speed you'll be hard pressed to get affordable performance like you'd get out of those.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
How about one of these? All would have adequate performance for your needs despite the wooden construction. ;)

mosquito_BIV.jpgYakovlev-Yak-1.jpg3942_hitlers_stealth_fighter-17_04700300_3733_0_0_610x389.jpg

buzzypeterson

This being your first airplane my suggestion would be to build something simple that you can actually get done rather than tackling your dream plane. Hell I didn't even like the first one I did.. ugly as **** but it got done... A friend that bought his RV 10 years before I started my first one is still about 50% done. Just depends how you like to do things. Fiberglass is beautiful in the hands of a craftsman... so is metal.. but they are not fast or inexpensive to build with in my experience.

Group Builder