• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Finding Mean Aero. Chord

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyvray

I need to know how to find the mean aerodynamic chord for a tandem wing aircraft.
I can find plenty on normal configurations, straight wings, tapered wings, delta wings, and canard aircraft. What I want is for an actual "tandem wing", not a canard.
The Delanne aircraft represent the type I'm thinking of. Basically, a normally configured aircraft, except the stabilizer is almost as large as the main wing (75-90%) and is aproximatley 1.5 to 2.0 times the main wing's chord back.
The Mauboussin Hemiptere is another example.
These are planes with two decent sized lifting surfaces, with the elevator or attitude controls on the rear wing (ailerons too sometimes).
I cannot find a definitive case of how to find the mean aero. chord - necessary of course to estimate CG, neutral point, and so on.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Bill

Back