Finally got to fly my skyraider!

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
At straight drive RPM's just a good case vent is enough. In hotrod street car's turning high rpm's you could need to vent the valve covers to help.

For the valve cover gasket, I like the cork gasket ( its thicker) and I put it on the valve cover with Aviation #3 Pematex and coat the other surface with wheel bearing grease and install on the head. Can reuse the gasket many times and being thicker there is more spring clip pressure for less leaks.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
My Mosler half VW had a check valve on the breather to maintain a negative pressure inside the crankcase, never any leaks.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The same reason I run the engine case breather tube to a negative pressure area. I ended up finding the ultimate negative pressure area, the intake of the carb, just like VW does on the car.
If you don't have a negative pressure in the case, you will have leaks.

tomz28

At straight drive RPM's just a good case vent is enough. In hotrod street car's turning high rpm's you could need to vent the valve covers to help.

For the valve cover gasket, I like the cork gasket ( its thicker) and I put it on the valve cover with Aviation #3 Pematex and coat the other surface with wheel bearing grease and install on the head. Can reuse the gasket many times and being thicker there is more spring clip pressure for less leaks.
how did it sound to you in the video ?