Finally: Cold Fusion Today! Cheap Energy 4 All!

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Empirical

Italian scientists demonstrated a working prototype of a small "Nickel-Hydrogen" fusion reactor which produces 12.4kw (of heat) from 400w input, a gain of 31. It is stable, no radiation out of its shield and no nuclear waste!

10kw devices are going to market this year!

If this is 100% real (as it seems to be), then this is a major breakthrough in science and technology which will affect all areas, worldwide! There will be a huge boost to everything electric (including electric flying vehicles)! If this is prototype's efficiency, imagine what will come next!

aparatus.jpg

Some facts (from this link):
* Regular Ni is used even though other isotopes may provide better efficiency. They think all the isotopes work to produce the effect.
* For some unknown reason
, not all of the Ni in the cell reacts with the hydrogen to produce energy. The percentage of the Ni that reacts is very low.
* Even though the percentage of the Ni that reacts with hydrogen is very low one kilogram of nickel powder should deliver 10 kW of energy for 10,000 hours. The consumption rate of hydrogen and nickel are 0.1 g of Ni and 0.01 g of H to produce 10 kWh/h. Note that for every picogram of nickel that is actually fused or reacts to the hydrogen, much more must be added. Not all the nickel added will react. So if you add 0.1g of Ni to produce
10kWh/h only a small fraction of that Ni will actually be utilized. When the device shuts off due to running out of fuel most of the .1g could be remaining.
* Tungsten is in no way used. However, "other elements" are used.
* Radiation is produced. However in the device demonstrated which is made for commercial use no radiation escapes due to lead shielding. The fact that radiation is produced is proof of a nuclear reaction.
* In the demonstration device for every unit of input there was approximately 37 units of output.
* A small percentage of th
e nickel is transmuted into copper. The amount of copper found in the cell is far greater than the impurities in the nickel powder. None of this copper is "unstable."
* There is no radioactivity in the cell after it is turned off. No nuclear "waste."
* All of the information needed to successfully replicate a self sustaining system is in the patent application (which is being held proprietary presently).
* The power density for thermal energy only is 5 liters per kilowatt.
* The hydrog
en has to be all hydrogen with no deuterium or heavy hydrogen. Apparently, any heavy hydrogen stops the reaction.
* This current system never goes below 6 times more energy out than in. During the test it produced 20 times more energy out than in. In the lab they have done similar tests and obtained 400 times more out than in, but it produced explosions.

Cold Fusion From Italy Nearly Commercial Ready | New Energy and Fuel

PTAirco

If this is prototype's efficiency, imagine what will come next!

What I imagine will come next is - nothing. Yes I'm a cynical ba...rd, but how often have we seen these kinds of things? There will controversy, people will dispute the claims, there might be lawsuits and angry back-and-forth on youtube and it will all fizzle out in the end. And it will get blamed on Big Oil or men in black buying up their technology and burying it.

I am not qualified to judge, knowing little about the subject matter. That's not to say I wouldn' be the first to jump up and down for joy that we have arrived in a new era. Somehow I doubt that will happen. Someone please prove me wrong and restore my faith in humanity.

topspeed100

Banned
I have always been of the opinion when the nuclear power fits a moped engine our energy problems are over.
15 000 kilowatts in an hour is a lot of power..if the gadget is small and portable and safe.

Good luck Focardi and Rossi !

flat6

I have always been of the opinion when the nuclear power fits a moped engine our energy problems are over.
15 000 kilowatts in an hour is a lot of power..if the gadget is small and portable and safe.

imagine what tanks and fighters would be able to do! that would be nice in my plane too.

E

Empirical

What I imagine will come next is - nothing. Yes I'm a cynical ba...rd, but how often have we seen these kinds of things? There will controversy, people will dispute the claims, there might be lawsuits and angry back-and-forth on youtube and it will all fizzle out in the end. And it will get blamed on Big Oil or men in black buying up their technology and burying it.

I am not qualified to judge, knowing little about the subject matter. That's not to say I wouldn' be the first to jump up and down for joy that we have arrived in a new era. Somehow I doubt that will happen. Someone please prove me wrong and restore my faith in humanity.

Well, this invention will make some people feel uncomfortable in their luxury thrones for sure, especially the oil kings and the bankers. I agree they might try their best to stop or "buy and bury" this technology. If this was invented a couple of decades ago, that could be the case and they could have won -no doubt.

But today, things are very different. It is almost impossible to prevent such a technology from spreading (it's not just a sketch along with equations in papers, it's a working device), because today those industries that will gain from such an invention are huge and probably equally powerful with the industries in competition or the greedy rich guys who want the world to continue buying from them, borrow money and remain in crisis.

In sort, there is a huge investment in batteries and electric vehicles. Already the demand for batteries far exceeds supply and grows exponentially. But electric transition is impossible with current power grid capability in any country, e-vehicles would make it collapse in a second (while charging).

This invention is an alternative to a massive, worldwide, costly, multi-decade power grid upgrade both in power plants and the grid itself (the cables) while most countries are in crisis! With such a small, portable power plant, each home can be autonomous and also everybody can fast-charge his/her e-vehicle whether it is a road or a flying vehicle! (Tiny units will come next).

It's probably what e-vehicle auto-makers always wanted ...and were afraid to ask for! :)

So I think the worst that might happen to this invention is simply high competition and probably a short delay -if any. If industry A and B try to bury this technology, industries C and D will make their own version -simple as that.

BTW, in the movie "Chain Reaction" (1996) starring Keanu Reeves, the inventors of such a device tried to upload and spread the diagrams and construction details to the internet to prevent such issues...

flat6

they are taking out patents left and right. why would they want to give it away for free?

Dan Thomas

Where do you see that it produces 15,000 kwh? I see only that it produces 15,000 "watt-hours per hour" (which is mighty confusing, by the way), which would be 15,000 watt-hours if it did this for an hour. And 15,000 watts is 20.1 hp. Not exactly muscular. Their references to kwh/h is confusing, perhaps a result of journalism without technical backgrounding. The confirmation is in the 37.5 energy multiplication: 400 watts input x 37.5 = 15,000 watts, not 15,000 kilowatts.

"Radiation is proof of nuclear reaction," they say. They don't specify the type of radiation, but I don't think the X-rays the technician used on me this week came from a nuclear reaction inside the x-ray machine, and the low-level radiation from the old television CRTs wasn't nuclear-related, either. Both of those sources are a result of electrons bombarding certain elements, not a result of either fission or fusion.

I will wait for real proof that this thing is what they claim it to be. It would be wonderful if it was, but the stuff I read in that article isn't convincing at all.

Dan

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
If it has been working for 2 years as stated, then why are they wearing heavy winter coats???
The usual scientific proof in the case of cold fusion is detection of neutrons. This was not mentioned in the article.

Here is a book about fusion: Sun in a bottle : the strange history of fusion and the science of wishful thinking / Charles Seife.
by Seife, Charles
New York : Viking, 2008.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
they are taking out patents left and right. why would they want to give it away for free?

Because there won't be any profit to be made, other than selling the nano nickel they claim to use.

If its as simple to use as they claim it's only a matter of time before the process gets reverse engineered and put up on the internet. At that point anyone that can get the required materials will just build their own and there will be so many people building them that there won't be any practical way to enforce the patent rights.

Getting a patent on a simple cold fusion process will be about as usefull as trying to patent a jump rope.

If cold fusion does come to be it will be a world changer, and probably not for the better in the first few decades.

Virtually free electricity won't have much impact on aviation until they build a better battery, but it could make winch launching of sailplanes a bit cheaper.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
If it truly worked (about which I'm not holding my breath), then conventional fuels would be freed up and possibly become considerably less expensive.

-Dana

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.

E

Empirical

Some thoughts / observations:

1. The inventors admit they don't know exactly how it works -but that doesn't matter (for now) if it does work. They probably succeeded because they were less theorists...

2. They mentioned there are some "trade secrets" that they don't want to publish until the patent is approved.

So probably they don't care/want to discuss their invention in depth, for the above two reasons.

3. Watching the video bellow, I can't help but notice that their presentation lacked any sort of prestige and marketing promotion, in order to convince businessmen and scientists! This is rather a good thing: Only honest people can be so low profile... Everyone else would do his best to make a big impression!

4. Since they demonstrated it cannot be just a chemical reaction, it is obviously on the nuclear domain. There maybe infinite ways to make a cold fusion reactor and probably there will be very different classes of fusion reactors in the future.

So who cares whether neutrons are emitted or not, the exact type of radiation etc. What matters is that it's the first working, highly efficient, green device for energy production that can only be compared (efficiency-wise) to far-from-green, fission reactors!

A complete theory will be necessary though, in order to optimize the device to the maximum (but it probably won't come before extensive experimentation).

5. They say current (thermal only) power density is 5lt / KW or for 10KW a 37cm cube -about the size of a microwave oven. Not bad for the first working fusion reactor!

(video with English subtitles) :

More info:
Journal of Nuclear Physics

Last edited by a moderator:

Rom

"Radiation is proof of nuclear reaction," they say. They don't specify the type of radiation, but I don't think the X-rays the technician used on me this week came from a nuclear reaction inside the x-ray machine, and the low-level radiation from the old television CRTs wasn't nuclear-related, either. Both of those sources are a result of electrons bombarding certain elements, not a result of either fission or fusion.
Dan
One of the articles mentions that gamma radiation is given off when the device is shut down. If this is the case, it would indicate that the gamma radiation is sustaining the reaction.

autoreply

Nice story, but no credits in any credible scientific journal, source or scientist..

Fortunately enough they'll be shipping in 3 months. I'll see what has come of this coming summer. In the mean time; some food for thought:
Paul Moller said:
New Technology goes through three stages:
First it is ridiculed by those ignorant of its potential
Next, it is subverted by those threatened by its potential
Finally, it is considered self-evident.

Turner

Nice story, but no credits in any credible scientific journal, source or scientist.
My meaning is that this fact might tell more of the "credible" scientific journals, sources and scientests you are speaking of, than of this invention. I'm not saying you're wrong, just tilting the perspective somewhat. This whole deal with be very interesting to follow as events unfold.

Edit: Here are a few links, articles published in a (generally considered credible mind you) swedish tech magazine.

Cold Fusion

Observers found no hidden source

Professor want to make longer duration tests

Last edited:

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
In the mean time; some food for thought:
Originally Posted by Paul Moller New Technology goes through three stages:
First it is ridiculed by those ignorant of its potential
Next, it is subverted by those threatened by its potential
Finally, it is considered self-evident.
His words may be true, but Mr Moller isn't a particularly credible messenger. After all the money he's lost for investors and the USG, somehow he always finds another person, with cash, willing to trust in his vision of the future.

autoreply

My meaning is that this fact might tell more of the "credible" scientific journals, sources and scientests you are speaking of, than of this invention.
Name me one scientific discovery of the last 100 years that wasn't covered in one of those major magazines or presented (and accepted) at a major conference. I've seen dozens of these kind of inventions the last few years alone. A nice story isn't enough for some credit.
Edit: Here are a few links, articles published in a (generally considered credible mind you) swedish tech magazine.
That's comparable to all those magazines with articles in the sixties and seventies about the Moller Skycar and numerous other great changes. Popular mechanics and the similar magazines are as scientific as the Playboy.

I put up a bottle of Scotch for a bet. I say this won't be credited scientifically in a major scientific magazine or on a major congress before 2012. You join? ;)

His words may be true, but Mr Moller isn't a particularly credible messenger. After all the money he's lost for investors and the USG, somehow he always finds another person, with cash, willing to trust in his vision of the future.
Which is exactly the reason I put that quote in. It's so often used by those with "great" ideas, despite the big majority of those people, using those words, being historic failures.

Turner

Incidentally Mr Moller plagiarized that quote. The original is as follows.

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Arthur Schopenhauer, German philosopher 1788-1860

One can clarify it with that it takes at least three generations for truth to prevail. The first generation won't see it, their children will refuse to accept it. The third generation is the first to have a chance to look at the subject matter objectively... when the relevance of the issue has long passed.

Doesn't work quite that way in science, but still new technology is opposed by those who profit on old tech. Just how profitable does new technology have to be in order to reach the market? Ask the pharmaceutical corporations, who only seek cures they can patent and make large profit margins of. Ask Monsanto who seek to bio-engineer and patent every seed in the world what their intentions are.

jhausch

And all business pass through the following stages:

Wonder
Thunder
Plunder
Blunder
Going Under

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.