• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Filing weld joints

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KWK

Supporting Member
Is it acceptable practice to file welded joints flush? I seem to recall reading it is not, but I can't find it in my books on aircraft welding. As I recall, the claim was the joint is of weaker metal and should be thicker than the 4130 tubing.

I'm sending a factory welded fuselage off for painting, and a few areas such as some of the joints in the doors and tail surfaces would look nicer if the weld bead were filed down. The factory did so in a couple places on the doors and the fuselage, but the locations seem to be at random. Maybe they were trying to inspect the quality of particularly rough looking joints and the guy with the grinder simply got carried away?

Back