Fighter Pilots Will Don AR Helmets For Training

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Bill-Higdon

This popped up today

ScaleBirdsScott

I've been talking about something like this for a little while. It's already possible with today's technology just a matter of cost and fidelity that can be reasonably achieved. If I was doing it, it'd be for recreational use, but, I can see a point to military training as well.

Yes the challenge with all OpFor training is being able to reasonably assume enemy tactics for future events based on past observation. Generally it's effective enough even when it isn't 100% accurate but I imagine for aircraft it can be more and more reliant on accurate modelling as it can be a lot more about specific functionality.

Hephaestus

AR would be a massive improvement - think for a second; what if that cockpit wall / strut / fuselage side is no longer in the way - your radar is telling your AR headset where your opponent is, and you've got an indicator in your field of vision saying where that opponent is right this second.

I still want the google glass / adsb version of this. Throw in a top and bottom 360deg camera and some computing power to pickup the stuff that isn't ADSB (like power lines or paragliders); that'd actually improve safety... Second set of eyes, highlighting of obstacles/hazards in the immediate vicinity.