• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Fiberglass Tank - How to rig and seal penetrations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am building a fiberglass header tank with eight penetrations, four that are potentially fussy. I do not know what best practices are and could use some guidance:

Princeton Capacitance gauge using an SAE 5 hole flange - This may require removal and replacement in the vehicle lifetime. Do I bond the supplied plate that has threaded holes for the five screws to the inside wall of the tank, and then just use the gasket between tank and gauge unit? Do I apply a sealant to the gasket?

Three fuel line penetrations - These penetrations are planned as permanent. Are there standard ways of making these penetrations in a fiberglass tank? I was thinking in terms of an AN832 bulkhead union and AN924 nut as I am intending to connect each end to tubing and flared tubes with flare nuts and sleeves would be straightforward. Do I seal the fitting with thickened resin, sandwich an O-ring under the flange and nut? Both? Will this work OK and be durable? Would a better way be to laminate in a piece of aluminum with NPT threads on both sides and connect with AN816 nipples instead?

Four NPT threaded holes in aluminum laminated into the tank for fuel level switches, the finger screen, and the drain fittings. These are for the finger screen, drain, and level switches, and so may require removal and reinstall in the vehicle lifetime. These are pretty straightforward, and I plan to seal the tapered pipe threads conventionally.

Billski

Last edited:
Back