Quantcast

Fiberglass Fabric Question

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Yellowhammer

Greetings,

I have a question regarding fiberglass cloth and tapes.

Is there a separate type or grade for aircraft applications or are all fiberglass cloth and tapes made the same?

I just want to make sure that if I order fiberglass from any other supplier than Aircraft Spruce it will be acceptable to use in my airplane.

Thanks for a of your help in advance!

Sincerely and Respectfully,

Yellowhammer

stanislavz

HBA Supporter
It depends on your design/plans. non-aircraft grade, may have kind of oil/wax inside to help its other purposes like heat insulator or fire blanket. Plus if design was calculated for non E glass but for S or R - it will be not strong enough.

Voidhawk9

HBA Supporter
I use a supplier that primarily supplies marine builders for powerboats and other high-end watercraft. Use the type for it's intended purpose (ie structures, not insulation!) and review the technical specs to compare with your baseline fabric.

Yellowhammer

It depends on your design/plans. non-aircraft grade, may have kind of oil/wax inside to help its other purposes like heat insulator or fire blanket. Plus if design was calculated for non E glass but for S or R - it will be not strong enough.
So you are saying that E glass is better than S glass?

Lendo

Y, I would suggest something of a very similar weight. We here in Australia don't have ready access to 7715/7725 Fiberglass. In fact these weights were borrowed from Europe Glider manufacturers and manufactured in the USA - their a GOOD (now) common standard in Aircraft Construction and design. I believe Burt Rutan first established those weights and weaves in the USA.

Weight is everything, S Glass is approx 18- 20% stronger than E-Glass, and Carbon (at 30% lighter) is a similar strength to S Glass. So if selecting a Carbon replacement for E-glass, looks at approx a 50% lighter Carbon (as a rule of thumb). I hop that makes sense to you. The beauty of Carbon is you save 50% of the weight of Resin as well - pity about the price.

We in Australia have a good Glass/ Carbon Manufacturer by the name of Colan, they don't have exactly similar weights, but close enough. I know they export to the US, so there could be savings there. You could also contact them and see if there is an agent locally, however with transport cost it could be similar, but I don't know for sure, the Sales Manger is Steve Scott, (sales@colan.com.au). I have just been recently talking to him a bout specification, but I have no connection to the Company.
George

Yellowhammer

Thanks for the clarification folks. Does anyone know of a good supplier for 3 oz fiberglass tape? 2-3 inch in width?

Thanks

Yellowhammer

Y, I would suggest something of a very similar weight. We here in Australia don't have ready access to 7715/7725 Fiberglass. In fact these weights were borrowed from Europe Glider manufacturers and manufactured in the USA - their a GOOD (now) common standard in Aircraft Construction and design. I believe Burt Rutan first established those weights and weaves in the USA.

Weight is everything, S Glass is approx 18- 20% stronger than E-Glass, and Carbon (at 30% lighter) is a similar strength to S Glass. So if selecting a Carbon replacement for E-glass, looks at approx a 50% lighter Carbon (as a rule of thumb). I hop that makes sense to you. The beauty of Carbon is you save 50% of the weight of Resin as well - pity about the price.

We in Australia have a good Glass/ Carbon Manufacturer by the name of Colan, they don't have exactly similar weights, but close enough. I know they export to the US, so there could be savings there. You could also contact them and see if there is an agent locally, however with transport cost it could be similar, but I don't know for sure, the Sales Manger is Steve Scott, (sales@colan.com.au). I have just been recently talking to him a bout specification, but I have no connection to the Company.
George
Thank you very much for your help and input sir.

Spodman

Hello Yellowhammer. I have used the Colan BID/UND alongside Aircraft Spruce. The UND behaves just alike, but the Colan BID wets out slower and goes very ratty at the edges. Costs from Australian suppliers for the Colan end up much the same as Aircraft Spruce anyway. The main advantage of the Colan is the 50" width, compared to 38" for the genuine.

If you are only after 3oz, there is a supplier of 4oz cloth in Brisvegas that ships cheap. Can't remember the name off hand.

As regards to tapes, it depends on your application as to whether they are a good idea or not. I cut my own tapes on the bias, so the threads cross the edges at 45 degrees. If they cross at 90 degrees you are getting less strength and more weight. Buy a roll of 4oz, grab some dressmaking scissors and get cutting

Mark Spedding - The Spodplane - Cozy IV

Yellowhammer

I ended up buying some e glass for ACS. The glass was for the my canopy attachment on the sides. I like the tape when structural integrity isn't a huge factor. Simply because I don't like dealing with unraveling or frayed edges.

I just used tape to create my lines and used it that way. Worked out pretty good.

pictsidhe

I ended up buying some e glass for ACS. The glass was for the my canopy attachment on the sides. I like the tape when structural integrity isn't a huge factor. Simply because I don't like dealing with unraveling or frayed edges.

I just used tape to create my lines and used it that way. Worked out pretty good.
Mike Arnold had a good trick. Two pieces of polythene. Place a bit of glass on one, pour some resin on, 2nd piece of polythene. Work the resin in. Now, cut the sandwich into your desired shape(s). Peel off one layer and roughly place it. Peel 2nd and finish it off. I've done a similar trick to place awkward bits of glass, but with only a single piece of PE. Will use Mike's trick in future...

Voidhawk9

HBA Supporter
Works great with foil down first too. Then when pressing into place, the foil will conform more willingly to tight or complex shapes than the plastic. Then peel it off in the same manner. I do this a lot.