FEMAP analysis

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

PTAirco

I used to have a trial version of FEMAP and while it was cumbersome to used, I loved it. It wasn't time limited. Somehow however, they changed their policy or something because suddenly mine does not work anymore and if I hadn't scribbled down my results on actual paper, I would have lost months of work. I now can't access my files anymore, although they do still exist on my computer. Siemens holds the license and they do have a free student version. However simply making up a university and filling in their form used to work, but no more. This is pretty devastating to me right now, since I am halfway through a design and a 58 I do not want to experience the nightmare of finding and learning yet another complex piece of software. I tried some of the free 3d analysis software programs out there and most are a joke. No way can I afford or justify getting the full version from Siemens. If I could find a person who is an active student at a university, willing to share some very basic info so I can fill in a form like that shown in the picture, I might have a chance to finish my design at least. PM me please.

Siemens.JPG

Spars CAse A.PNG

mcrae0104

Supporting Member
That’s a bummer.

The image looks like a moment diagram for biplane spars. We’re you using the software only to determine max moment for various load cases, or for something beyond this?

SeppoK

One of the education levels is Self-Taught/Independent Study. I think it means you don't have to be an active student at an university.

PTAirco

That’s a bummer.

The image looks like a moment diagram for biplane spars. We’re you using the software only to determine max moment for various load cases, or for something beyond this?

That was just an example. For wings, I use it for spars stresses and axial loads on struts, spars and wires and drag bracing. For biplane design this thing is indispensable. I can do that stuff by hand but working through subtle changes to optimize the structure would be tedious beyond belief without a program like that.

PTAirco

One of the education levels is Self-Taught/Independent Study. I think it means you don't have to be an active student at an university.
I might try again but the form doesn't give you a lot of options. It just spat back at me: "sorry, your request cannot be processed at this time".

rv7charlie

Supporting Member
That sounds like it could just be a website issue.

For the college problem, do you have a Community/Junior college near you? Register, and sign up for a night course or two. That gets you 'in the system' for what should be a minimal investment (compared to purchasing the software), and should allow you to access the student version.

rv7charlie

Supporting Member
Link redirects to the 'med-ed' site, 404, 'threat secured'.
edit:::::
Hover your mouse pointer over that hyperlink in the link you just posted, and look at the popup in the lower left corner of your screen (Win7 and Chrome browser). The little popup shows the actual destination of the link, which is the med-led site.