• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

FEAR of ……………..RADIO ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
Did you have it ? Do you transmit it? I got my private pilot license at a very rural airport.
There if the radio had fell out of the plane I’m not sure it would’ve been noticed.
I remember my first flight to the airport where they probably had 50 or 65 flights a day and how busy the radio seemed there. After that I remember my first flight to a tower controlled airport and how terrifying it seems it was on a Tuesday afternoon!

Oh radio operations absolutely terrified me heck they were worse than stalls!

After I got my private pilots license I definitely avoided tower control airports.
But a few years later I got the chance to study for my commercial license down near St. Louis at saugett Airport.
Good Lord on a sunny afternoon in the spring with good weather there might be 100 aircraft in two patterns there !
But after a couple weeks it didn’t bother me at all the controllers were my buddies ! It was a whole different situation .
But now when I went home to my home airport I could recognize the fear of the radio where nobody was in charge the trainees from the big city airport showed.
Yes I remember standing around the hanger laughing at a big city kid transmitting. “hello hello is there anybody out there?”
But now I recognized there was just as much fear in tower trained students arriving in an uncontrolled airport where he might be only operation that day.

It seems like everybody is afraid of the radio

Last edited:
Back