• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

FAW+ Velomobile Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skier

My wife and I have had a recumbent tricycle for a few years now and she's been enjoying riding it. This year we decided we wanted a second one so that we could go out riding together. The only issue with that is that it was going to eat up my CH-750 budget for the year. As a result I put my foot down (didn't really take any convincing, she's a great wife) and said rather than another trike I want to build a velomobile.

Now what's a velomobile, you might ask. It's an enclosed, aerodynamic tricycle. The newer ones tend to be built from composites, but the one I bought (FAW+, based on the Dutch Alleweder A2) is an older, cheaper design that is built from typical aircraft sheet metal construction. You can either purchase it in kit form or pre-built. I opted to go for the kit-build since it is cheaper and gives me more experience with sheet metal construction before I build my airplane.

I know there's at least one other velomobilist on this forum. Between that and it being made from standard aircraft construction techniques, I figured there may be some interest on here for a build thread. So without further rambling to the photos:

The Fedex truck making the delivery:
IMG_3049.jpg

Opening the box:
IMG_3060.jpg

The larger components:
IMG_3062.jpg

All the little guys:
IMG_3063.jpg

Back