Favorite Stripper

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member

Good idea ... most folks do not stop and consider how much weight several gallons of paint will add to the aircraft .... and that is also one of the reasons it is best to strip the old coatings ... otherwise the paint-weight is doubled.

I am sure you know this already ... the most important next steps are chemically treating the aluminium (Alumiprep etc) ... then a good quality aluminium spec primer ... get that right and the paint will last practically forever .

I always used IMRON Polyurethane but it can be difficult to apply and most painters shy away from it unless experienced ... but there are many very good automotive acrylic urethanes available today that are excellent and easier to spray for the average painter ... like I said ... the prep and primer are most important .

My work straight tail C-172 didn't have any paint except for the N numbers. No seats except for the front left seat. Flew with the doors off a lot. Restricted Category. IFR with autopilot.

Imron is really a easy paint to paint with compared to some of the others. Good to used on an all aluminum airplane with a good prep and primer.

Torch33

Sunset Strip. Peroxide based, you can get it on bare skin without issue. Paint comes off in sheets, doesn’t hurt aluminum or steel. Pricey but worth it, 5 gal minimum iirc. You may have to have a paint shop or your IA order it.
Spray it on, let it sit overnight (with a disposable tarp underneath). Plastic squeegee and Power wash off.

speedracer

One method of stripping fiberglass airplanes is to use razor blades. you hold one end of the blade stationary and sweep the other end in a half circle. I remember a (large) group of guys stripped an entire Long EZ in a day.

Kyle Boatright

HBA Supporter
One method of stripping fiberglass airplanes is to use razor blades. you hold one end of the blade stationary and sweep the other end in a half circle. I remember a (large) group of guys stripped an entire Long EZ in a day.
The local paint shop strips most aircraft (aluminum and composite) that way. I was surprised by that.

wildhorsesracing

Is there any Youtube videos demonstrating that?

O2flyMore

When purchasing fire extinguishers for hangars, my local EAA chapter was looking at the average dry-powder extinguishers. Seemed that the baking soda in them would cause an insurance company to total the airplane, because the particles would get into all the rivet holes, seams, etc, and sand off the protective coating on aluminum, then corrode, and destroy the airframe. Even if rinsed.
Maybe some experimenter has dropped a piece of aluminum in a jar of baking soda to find out.?

Richard Roller

When purchasing fire extinguishers for hangars, my local EAA chapter was looking at the average dry-powder extinguishers. Seemed that the baking soda in them would cause an insurance company to total the airplane, because the particles would get into all the rivet holes, seams, etc, and sand off the protective coating on aluminum, then corrode, and destroy the airframe. Even if rinsed.
Maybe some experimenter has dropped a piece of aluminum in a jar of baking soda to find out.?
When working for a certain large commercial airline, we used a high pressure soda/water system to strip the top of wings before bonding de-ice mats to the wing.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The title of this thread is quite confusing, all this talk about chemicals?
My favorite stripper was Carol Doda
Always a nut in the group :) :) Thank you. Laughter is good for the soul.

Last edited:

Fiberglassworker

This is why CO2 extinguishers are more popular in aircraft hangers.