Favorite airports

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
My favorite airport has always been KUOS (Franklin County, TENN) the "UOS" stands for Univ. of the South at Sewanee, TN. Back in 1987 - 1990 as a Naval Aviator Recruiter I remember flying in and talking to the "Master of Spins" Bill Kershner about spin training and his early years as a Naval Aviator. The airport is nested in the trees atop the mountains in South Eastern Tennessee.

Flew in Franklin Co back in the mid 1980's to look at an airplane that was for sale. Friend of mine took the training course from Bill Kershner. She was a local flight instructor and very good. Loved to fly with her. Learned a lot from her.
She also was my daughter's flight instructor.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Bill Kershner was a good guy. His Flight Manuals were very well written; clear, concise, and easy to understand.

BJC

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Bill Kershner was a good guy. His Flight Manuals were very well written; clear, concise, and easy to understand.

BJC
As far as I'm concerned, they set the standard.

Reactions: BJC

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I agree, Pops, and considered recommending Kershner’s books in the thread about taking the FAA test, but they are out of date.

BJC
Yes, now out of date, but they were very good at the time.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Lower Creek Airport, NC27, in North Carolina is a flying club owned private airport. Very family oriented, with a big cookout each fall that I attended, via invitation, through the 2000’s. Situated in a valley, the grass runway is wide enough for a three plane formation takeoff. Depart to the SW, clear the fence at the end of the runway, follow the valley, and watch the ground steadily fall away.

Private, with a special approach, so talk to someone there before going.

BJC
I have a new neighbor here, who has kept airplanes at three (now four) of my favorite private airports: Willis Glider Port (FL), Shiflet Field (NC), Lower Creek (NC), and Love’s Landing (FL).

BJC

Last edited:

BJC

HBA Supporter
Has anyone been to Silver Creek, NC52, recently?

They had several warbirds there, including a nice Chipmunk that still was in original configuration. The last time that I saw it, it was for sale, but I wasn’t enthusiastic about maintaining the Gipsy Major engine. The airport bums (used affectionally) were very friendly, and took we three fly-in visitors to a private club restaurant for a nice lunch.

Just off the west end of the airport was a large hangar / industrial building, well above the recurring flood elevation, that housed a P-51, a T-6, a PT-17, and 40 or 50 antique or classic cars.

BJC

Pilot-34

Two airports that are almost the opposite well , were.
Meigs field right in beautiful downtown Chicago steps from everything probably the handiest airport in the world except for the following.
AOP4 Farewell Alaska Which happened to be right underneath me when a piston departed the aircraft.
It immediately became my favorite and most convenient airport ever.

TarDevil

Has anyone been to Silver Creek, NC52, recently?

They had several warbirds there, including a nice Chipmunk that still was in original configuration. The last time that I saw it, it was for sale, but I wasn’t enthusiastic about maintaining the Gipsy Major engine. The airport bums (used affectionally) were very friendly, and took we three fly-in visitors to a private club restaurant for a nice lunch.

Just off the west end of the airport was a large hangar / industrial building, well above the recurring flood elevation, that housed a P-51, a T-6, a PT-17, and 40 or 50 antique or classic cars.

BJC
Not recently, but one of my favorites. That hangar is the bomb!
Long gone, but Midway Airport adjacent to old I85 in Thomasville, NC will be my all time favorite. From my toddler days, watched it grow from dirt to pavement. Watched my dad get his private ticket and where I took my first PPL lessons. I can remember Mooney Mites, Ryan ST's, Stearmans, C-195's. Dad flew me in Cubs, Pacers and Taylorcrafts. Jack Cox and I once had a long conversation about our experiences with John Spencer. After he died Dad painted a portrait of John that hung in the lobby until Bernette sold the property.
It's an industrial complex now. Not a single hint that it was an airport except for the few of us who landed over the I85 bridge.

N804RV

HBA Supporter
Jefferson County (0S9) for Spruce Goose cafe and the small air museum.
Friday Harbor (KFHR) for the scenic San Juan Islands flight and beautiful walk to town.
Port Allen, Kauai (PAK), just cause its one of the coolest runways I've ever landed on (although its longer now than I remember).
Boeing Field (KBFI) Landing in downtown Seattle, and one of the best air museums in the world!
Colombia (O22), Flew on Navy support missions for air attack and the little town of Sonora was so **** cool back in the '80s. Have no idea what its like now.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Birchwood airport (Alaska) has over 300 private airplanes parked in row after row. Nothing like it anywhere, from what I've seen. (except Merrill Field with 1000. But they have a tower :D )

Last edited:

flyingforx

Walikale. A 15 ft wide road with a 20 degree turn halfway down the designated runway section. Can be seen on youtube

patrickrio

WA09. Final over the San Juans and Roche Harbor Marina. 5 minute walk to 2 5-star restaurants and 1 5-star cafe. Eat this for your $100 hamburger:

The Overseer Burger - American Kobe Style Beef
Half-pound local Okanogan Wagyu beef, double smoked bacon, sweet grilled onion, and Tillamook sharp white cheddar and burger mayonnaise on a grilled Brioche bun. With tomato, lettuce, dill pickle and onion on the side.

Of course why eat a hamburger when you can have fresh Coho with shitake mushroom sauce and steamed clams as an appetizer.

And maybe you can watch a few sea planes land while you eat.

n6233u

HBA Supporter
Triple Tree (SC00) is my local favorite

Sedona (KSEZ) is a bucket list airport, had breakfast there once on vacation and swore I'd come back to land there someday .

20170821_133745.jpg

cblink.007

EDRG: Idar-Oberstein Flugplatz, Rhineland-Palatinate, Deutschland. Best grilled steak, fries and salad in Europe.

KL05: Kern Valley Airport, California. Best fly-in campground.

K2I3: Rough River State Park, Kentucky. Great place to spend a weekend; cabins available, restaurant on site as well.

KEYF: Curtis L. Brown Field, Elizabethtown, North Carolina. One word- Melvin's. Nuff said.

KSUT: Cape Fear Regional, Brunswick County, North Carolina. Best reuben on the planet across the street.

KPRC: Ernest A. Love Field, Prescott, Arizona. Stunning scenery.

don january

Log Member
I've always have been fond of Stead Airport in Reno but some of the old gravel roads and farmers boom roads we flew off spraying hold some great memories. Nothing like flying in for a real home cooked meal that the costumers wife had fixed up for us.;)