Favorite airports

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by BJC, Oct 10, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 10, 2019 #1

BJC

BJC

BJC

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

A thread to share favorite airports that you have visited, as well as to identify one’s that you want to visit.

I’ll start by mentioning Triple Tree Aerodrome, SC00, in South Carolina as a favorite, and Flabob Airport, KRIR, in California, as one that I want to visit. I met Tom Wathen when he bought Stoddard-Hamilton, now Glasair Aviation, and had several long, relaxed, interesting, conversations with him.

Tell us your favorites.

BJC

2. Oct 10, 2019 #2

mullacharjak

mullacharjak

mullacharjak

The lonliest airfield in the world.No aircraft ever lands here.You have to cross controlled airspace to get here in the Himalayas.Had a r/t failure enroute so couldnt make it(Rans S6) 2013.Now no aircraft/But memories remain.
    Rawalakot.Kashmir.Pakistan. 5479 ft msl.3000 ft.01/19.

Attached Files:

BJC likes this.
  3. Oct 10, 2019 #3

Pops

Pops

Pops

Mallory Airport, S. Charleston, WV. 24' wide, paved, 2000' long, on a hill side up the side of a hollow, uphill with no go-around, with a cliff off your wing tip. Bend in runway where you can just see about 1000'. About 75 airplanes base there. Great people. Large cookout every May.

Lee Bottom, (64I ) Hanover , IND. One of the nicest, largest, grass field runways that you will ever see and great people.

Stoneking -- Straight up the side of a mountain from down in a hollow, gravel, about 1800', so steep that a tri-gear airplane will fall back on its tail ( now, what are you going to do ?) if you stop on the runway before you get to a small flat spot big enough to turn around on top. Taking off is like going off a ski jump. Mr. Stoneking died and its closed now.
    Great man to talk to with many stories of airline and Dirigibles flying back before WW-2 and before VOR's .

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    BJC likes this.
  4. Oct 10, 2019 #4

Dana

Dana

Dana

Super Moderator Staff Member

Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome (yes you can land there, with permission).
    Bayport Aerodrome (the last publicly owned grass airport on Long Island, NY, just filled with biplanes and other cool things.
    Griswold Airport (now closed, in CT) was a great place, sometimes like the wild west, with ultralights, paramotors, GA, R/C, and a seaplane charter operation all sharing the field.
    I'd like to get to Triple Tree one day.

Pops and BJC like this.
  5. Oct 10, 2019 #5

Mcmark

Mcmark

Mcmark

"I've been around, you know!" Pacino-Scent of a Woman
    The nicest grass runway I've ever been on is owned by Dick Packer in Ohio. Thick, lush, green, amazing!
    My Dads place MD22 15 mi east of Andrews AFB is pretty smooth.
    The people at Salinas, CA were so amazing to me when I went out to race at Reno. Working out the issues of getting a new to you airplane sorted to go xcountry was a task and they made a bad situ very doable.
    Have only been to a few that I'd rather not go back to.
    I'm with Dana, looking forward to Triple Tree and maybe Reklaw.

BJC likes this.
  6. Oct 10, 2019 #6

12notes

12notes

12notes

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I'll second Pops endorsement of Lee Bottom (64I)- one of the few privately owned public airports, 4,000'+ of grass right on the Ohio river. I fly there frequently after work. Rich and Ginger who own it are good people.

Across the river in Kentucky, Miles Field (3KY9) is another great grass airstrip. Golf course quality grass strip with a dogleg extension. They're having a fly-in/camp out this weekend. It's a private strip, so give them a shout if you're going to drop in on a random day.

Another favorite is Roger's International, a grass strip in the mountains east of Lexington. It's not on the charts, but they are having a fly in/camp out on the 27th-28th. I'll post in events about it, including a video of the approach. (Event post link: https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/...-fly-in-camp-out-oct-26-27.32420/#post-496351 )

Map of the 3:
    https://skyvector.com/?ll=38.268232113814285,-84.83404540424719&chart=301&zoom=4&fpl= 64I 3KY9 3744N08349W

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    BJC and Pops like this.
  7. Oct 10, 2019 #7

Pops

Pops

Pops

I'm with you on Old Rhinebeck. My grandson that has no interest in airplanes went with me to Rhinebeck and loved it.

I wear tee-shirts from Old Rhinebeck and Lee Bottom.

8. Oct 10, 2019 #8

BJC

BJC

BJC

Lower Creek Airport, NC27, in North Carolina is a flying club owned private airport. Very family oriented, with a big cookout each fall that I attended, via invitation, through the 2000’s. Situated in a valley, the grass runway is wide enough for a three plane formation takeoff. Depart to the SW, clear the fence at the end of the runway, follow the valley, and watch the ground steadily fall away.

Private, with a special approach, so talk to someone there before going.

BJC

9. Oct 10, 2019 #9

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Minden, NV, one of the world's great soaring sites.
    California City and Tehachapi CA, my greatest soaring sites :)
    Santa Paula, CA, location of the coolest antiques and odd ball airplanes anywhere.

BJC likes this.
  10. Oct 10, 2019 #10

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

I’ll second the motion for Flabob, but having grown up there, I may be biased. Tom Wathen was a great guy. He passed away a few years ago, but he put in place the Wathen Foundation whose function was to preserve Flabob as an airport and to maintain the grassroots character of the field.

Santa Paula is another good airport, and I can also second VB’s nomination of Tehachapi Skylark North Mountain Valley Airport (that’s a mouthful) for soaring fans and also for some of the projects on the field and for all of the autographed Edwards test pilot photos in the sandwich shop.

BJC likes this.
  11. Oct 10, 2019 #11

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

2MS8
    Especially the 250’ strip!
    Closed to ebody but the owner. Sensitive neighbors

Mcmark, bmcj and BJC like this.
  12. Oct 10, 2019 #12

Mcmark

Mcmark

Mcmark

"Sensitive neighbors."
    You were probably there first, too!

13. Oct 10, 2019 #13

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Oh heck, I wouldn't risk going in there... I heard the localizer is INOP!

Rockiedog2 likes this.
  14. Oct 10, 2019 #14

Pops

Pops

Pops

Joe, from the videos of the 600' runway looks like a decent approach with a turn around some trees, is that correct ? Approach means almost everything.

15. Oct 11, 2019 #15

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

yep
    he started building just beyond the threshold of 32. I went over and said "Robert is that gonna be a 2 story?" He said "Naw but a steep pitch." I said "Well, we'll probably miss it most of the time."

LOL

Mcmark and Pops like this.
  16. Oct 11, 2019 #16

Pops

Pops

Pops

We had a farmer on the north end of the runway that complained about airplane swinging over to the west side of the runway and flying over his house.
    We took him a ride to show him that those big oak trees were so high sometimes you have to swing over his way to miss them. He had ever flown before and loved it so much he sold us land to extend the runway 550' and were able to cut down all the large trees making it a far safer runway. Win/Win for everyone.
    He said if he wasn't so old he would like to join us and learn to fly.

Rockiedog2 likes this.
  17. Oct 11, 2019 #17

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

14-32 one way L 14 TO 32. 1500'. Come thru the slot in the woods and make a 20 degree turn in the flare. Not bad when you get used to it cept we cut the slot in '92 and it's closed up both sides and from below. I've brushed the left tip and the belly. It's tight now. The slot belongs to the doc next door; good neighbor. He said I could trim whatever I needed to but I hate to do that. 701, SS-1 and LEU all ok, but need to pay attention in SS1.
    18-36 was 500' but I just shortened it to 300 and moved it S to join the 250'. One way L18 TO36. Steep slope at the S end so it stops nice. Steep slope downhill at beginning of TO roll so it happens quick. 3 secs in this 701. Bout the same in PuttPutt. 100 ft trees several hundred feet N. Not a big deal. 701 and LEU only.
    29-11 one way L11 TO29 250'. Close in go around iffy; 75' trees couple hundred feet SE. Clear approach. 701 and LEU ok; the PIC gotta get it on about the first 20-30 feet but if you do run off the end it's just down the rough side of the hill. Maybe gear or prop damage depending on how lucky he is with coyote holes.
    Back before I closed it, most folks flew over and looked and kept on goin. Some did come in and there were a number of cases of landing long and hot and a couple intentional groundloops to keep from running in the creek. I enjoyed the divots flying out from under the locked up brakes as they came by the hangar. Pretty good pilots but not what they were used to. Look at it on Google Earth if you like.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    Pops likes this.
  18. Oct 11, 2019 #18

Pops

Pops

Pops

Camped with the guys from Bayport Aerodrome at Lockhaven, PA. for several years, good bunch of guys. Would like to visit Bayport and see all the bi-planes. There was also a group from Canada that came and camped every year with their Cubs. I have missed going to Lockhaven for a few years, but always enjoyed the week and went every year for many years. Also enjoyed going to the Piper Museum and going on the Lycoming factory tours while at Lockhaven.

Anyone knew the man that flew his J-3 Cub from CA each year to Lockhaven until he was well up in his 80's ? Can't remember his name, had a good visit with him each year. I know one of his stops over nite was at Lee Bottom. Was his first name Bud ?

19. Oct 11, 2019 #19

Giffymon

Giffymon

Giffymon

Grass or paved?
    I think the most beautiful and yet affordable grass runway is the airport community of Windsock Village in New Hampshire. 4000 of well maintained grass.
    Paved runways are just places to get gas.

bmcj and Pops like this.
  20. Oct 11, 2019 #20

David H

David H

David H

My favorite airport has always been KUOS (Franklin County, TENN) the "UOS" stands for Univ. of the South at Sewanee, TN. Back in 1987 - 1990 as a Naval Aviator Recruiter I remember flying in and talking to the "Master of Spins" Bill Kershner about spin training and his early years as a Naval Aviator. The airport is nested in the trees atop the mountains in South Eastern Tennessee.

Pops likes this.