(Fauvel Flying Wing AV-60) Can anybody identify the source of it?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Chlomo

I've recently developed an interest in Fauvel airplanes especially av-60.
From EAA's Sport aviation archive I've obtained a few images of itav-60.jpgav-60 drawing.PNG
Has anyone seen any other images from the magazine?

Also Can you identify the original publication source for this image? I only vaguely guess Canadian Aviation(as those Sport Aviation articles are excerpts from that magazine) may have some info and relations to the late Mr. Georges Jacquemin who helped engineer the airplane with Mr. Fauvel.
av60_1.jpg

Any knowledge is very appreciated!

Chlomo

Just got a reply from him he knows the builder/owner was in Texas but he doesn't have any more info either.. Thanks.

spduffee

Ok, I am opening myself up for a bashing, but the AV60, as with many of Mr Fauvels's designs, seem pretty simple, structually. There are model plans available that one could use to establish certain relationships in the design. From there one could back into the design and create it anew. There doesn't seem to be much flight data, so building from the master's plans, if they were available, wouldn't be a guarentee for success/safety, necessarily. The few drawings available - 3 view, cutaway and structural, could get a smart designer pretty far, I would think.

FritzW

Log Member
Many (maybe most) of my design musings are based on model airplane plans, 3 views and cutaways. ...nothing wrong with that;)

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
For something similar, look at the Debreyer Pélican, especially the earlier wooden proof-of-concept prototype JCD-02 rather than the later composite JCD-03 intended for kit sales. While the Pelican itself requires a very light engine and a pretty light pilot, something similar but designed for heftier pilots and perhaps with the wing lowered and the pilot moved aft to allow an engine in a tractor position like the Fauvel might work quite well.

planpeli.gifpelic_5.jpg

Also, don't forget the simplest flying wing of all, a straightforward plank with just two outboard elevons like Al Backstrom's designs. That configuration also encourages good low-speed manners since the raised elevons provide pronounced wash-out exactly when it's needed near the stall. Here, too, I think a simple VW-powered single-seater with the wing lowered and the moved aft for a tractor engine installation could make for a wonderfully simple and easy-to-build design. Thick wings with big box spars, perhaps built in three sections for small shops, and just three moving control surfaces for appealing simplicity.

plank_3.jpga5527098-194-EPB1_2v.jpg

Cheers,

Matthew

Chlomo

Ok, I am opening myself up for a bashing, but the AV60, as with many of Mr Fauvels's designs, seem pretty simple, structually. There are model plans available that one could use to establish certain relationships in the design. From there one could back into the design and create it anew. There doesn't seem to be much flight data, so building from the master's plans, if they were available, wouldn't be a guarentee for success/safety, necessarily. The few drawings available - 3 view, cutaway and structural, could get a smart designer pretty far, I would think.
You are most certainly right! Ive been trying my best to contact any model makers related yet nobody has ever replyed. And those few models on the internet well unfortunately I could not establish contact with.Thanks!

Chlomo

Yes. Pelicans come to mind no doubt. But I was thinking they were more like av-36 derivatives and although Im sure av-36s are great planes I would like to focus my attention to this lill bird av-60 for now! But hey! Those pelican fuselage is a thing of beauty! Wish I had the skills to reproduce them in aluminum!Thanks!

Chlomo

Many (maybe most) of my design musings are based on model airplane plans, 3 views and cutaways. ...nothing wrong with that;)
I see we have very much in common in design thought processes..

FritzW

Log Member
Matthew,
I heard there was some trouble in Kenya, I hope it's not in your area.

The AV-60 and the Pelican both seem like great airplanes. I wonder why they never caught on. A 125% Pelican with an 1835 VW would be the Bee's knees.

Chlomo

Yes! I'm searching high and low! From flight data to rc models! Equally hard to find.

Victor Bravo

The Pelican can be made in aluminum. I have often thought about it myself, it would be a very very simple airplane. Today, you could power a Pelican using any number of good paramotor engines like the Simonini Mini-2 or Mini-3 and have a really neat little econo-flyer. The plans for the Pelican re available occasionally on eBay, I bought a digital set myself for reference.

The Backstrom Planks have been looked at, and discussed, and sketched, and discussed again... for eons. It is not as easy to execute in reality as it seems.

Chlomo

The Pelican can be made in aluminum. I have often thought about it myself, it would be a very very simple airplane. Today, you could power a Pelican using any number of good paramotor engines like the Simonini Mini-2 or Mini-3 and have a really neat little econo-flyer. The plans for the Pelican re available occasionally on eBay, I bought a digital set myself for reference.

The Backstrom Planks have been looked at, and discussed, and sketched, and discussed again... for eons. It is not as easy to execute in reality as it seems.
How might I acquire the digital plan? Does the manufacturer offer one?
I am also interested in Pelican.
Thanks

Norman

HBA Supporter
I think a simple VW-powered single-seater with the wing lowered and the moved aft for a tractor engine installation could make for a wonderfully simple and easy-to-build design.
If the CG of a plank is not on the same level as the aerodynamic center it really should be lower because a high CG creates an inverted pendulum. Since a plank flying wing has such a small allowable CG movement it's very easy for a high CG to swing far enough aft for your plane to become statically unstable at high AoA. Planes that have both the pilot and engine forward of the spar, like the Choucas and the AV-60, must have fairly heavy aft fuselages to balance all that nose weight. For visibility the pilot should be out in front, so it makes sense for the engine to be in back and with the engine high to keep the prop out of the dirt the forward mass needs to be low for the static stability to remain positive at all speeds.

FritzW

Log Member
How might I acquire the digital plan? Does the manufacturer offer one?
I am also interested in Pelican.
Thanks
I'd buy a copy also if I could find them.
fwagoner at zianet dot com ...hint ...hint

I'm glad all is well Matthew, it was starting to sound like Kenya was getting almost as bad as Ferguson, MO.