Fauvel AV-36 and 361 project

Discussion in 'Soaring' started by Hot Wings, Jul 7, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 7, 2019 #1

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Foundationer likes this.
  2. Jul 8, 2019 #2

plncraze

plncraze

plncraze

That is wonderful! It is nice to see someone is going to keep some of Fauvel's work alive. When you see the planes and their plans which have disappeared into oblivion it is very sad. Thank you for sharing!

3. Jul 8, 2019 #3

Dennis K

Dennis K

Dennis K

In 1970 while assigned to AFCRL Cloud Physics Branch at Hanscom Field a man approached me after seeing a model I had built with a plan to build an AV-36 as a woodworking project for his son. I thought Ihad died and goen to heaven but the kid wasn't interested so the plan fell through. All I have left is the Falconar Aircraft Ltd. brochure.

4. Jul 8, 2019 #4

Foundationer

Foundationer

Foundationer

The Fauvel gliders are beautiful looking things! What cad package are you building it in?

Edit: Solidworks. Nice.

I'm quite interested in how you're going to organise the files / parts. Is that bulkhead one part that will then fit into an assembly?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    billyvray likes this.
  5. Jul 8, 2019 #5

billyvray

billyvray

billyvray

same question. Is each little block or piece of wood a separate part file, then made into the one assembly for the bulkhead, or did you just build that bulkhead as one part ? Always a consideration with multi-part assemblies.

6. Jul 8, 2019 #6

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

For parts like this bulkhead I like to build it as one part of separate bodies. For the average homebuilder this is all that is needed to generate a drawing for the plans. I can still pull out each little stick as a separate part file to generate CNC/G code files.

I haven't yet started to assign part numbers, but that will be (have to be) done soon. This one will probably be FU36-2ASM made of parts FU36-2/1.....#/Arevision FU361-1/1B would be the plywood diaphragm for the number one fuselage bulkhead for an AV-361 - second revision.

This is going to be an iterative process. A lot of the dimensions needed are either no longer readable, or were never included. The drawing and manual of this bulkhead for example doesn't specify if the dimensions are from the back side or the front. Since it is mounted at an angle to the longerons it does make a difference.
    I feel for the previous builders that made these and just assumed that the side cuts were orthogonal*, or used the wrong side as the reference.

For this bulkhead (#2 in the plans) I'll probably just fill in the longeron notches with a note to the builder to cut the notches at X angle after the glue dries.

* One does need to read and understand the complete set of plans before cutting parts. This kind of mistake can't be blamed entirely on the plans. Fortunately for me electrons cost a whole lot less than Spruce.

7. Jul 8, 2019 #7

Foundationer

Foundationer

Foundationer

I'm impressed! I can make individual parts, and I can make something that looks like an outer mould line, and they're pretty good... But I've never figured out the process to take the OML and fill it with individual parts that I can then pull out and get drawings of.

8. Jul 8, 2019 #8

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Don't be. For as long as I've been at this I should be much better, and quicker. SW is one of those programs that an individual will probably never master. There is just too much there. Fortunately in the modern world we have YouTube videos to show the way - if you can find one that doesn't take all day to get the message across. Just knowing that SW can do something is often half of the solution.

Basic process used here is to uncheck the "merge" box. Then each body can be "Insert into new part". This is then the child part and will change when you change the parent in the original part. Child parts can be modified parametricly and can in turn spawn their own children.

9. Jul 8, 2019 #9

Foundationer

Foundationer

Foundationer

'uncheck the merge box' you say? I think you might have just taught me the most important SW lesson in ages. I have a sudden suspicion that wall I hit trying to do anything at all complicated has just been knocked down! Thank you!

I guess it's an interesting thing about YouTube - you can learn a lot fast but it's quite easy to miss something extremely important and if you don't know you missed it it's very hard to work it out.