Fauvel AV-36 and 361 project - comment page

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Hot Wings

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Not feeling overwhelmed - yet. If I had known of all of the 'deficiencies' in the plans from the start that might have been, but taken in little chunks it has been manageable. I just wish I could free up more time for this project.

If I could get lawyers, deadbeat renters and only child grandchildren out of my life............:cool:

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
Looks like you did some good work with the airfoils. It looks like that analysis took a fair amount of effort. Based on those results, it looks like the smoothed original airfoil is a good choice.

I got a laugh out of your Dunning-Kruger post. That "valley of despair" is a familiar place! I know that getting out of it requires patience and effort, but the upward slope sure looks steep sometimes! Hang in there!

plncraze

HBA Supporter
I wonder if the French plans you have are "genuine Fauvel" from Mr. Fauvel himself while the other plans are altered by Mr. Falconar or someone else. Starts to seem like Mignet and his and other's Flea plans.

Hot Wings

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The Falconair and the French plans are essentially the same. I don't speak or read French but just from the few bits of French I ran through Google translate there was some detail lost. Falconair just whited out the French and replaced it with English, including the dimensions. The dimensions on the French copies are unreadable in some places and the Falconair ones have poor line quality. Between the 2 I can get the essentials figured out.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Not feeling overwhelmed - yet. If I had known of all of the 'deficiencies' in the plans from the start that might have been, but taken in little chunks it has been manageable.
My ignorance/lack of appreciation for the situations I jumped into have sometimes led to some very fulfilling experiences. If we knew everything up front we'd avoid a lot of trouble, but probably avoid a lot of great opportunities.

It occurs to me that the biggest decisions I've made in my life (who to marry, what career to pursue, where to live, etc) have been made despite an appalling lack of objective information. Yet, I'll fret if I don't do all the possible research before choosing which toaster oven to buy.

Hot Wings

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Yet, I'll fret if I don't do all the possible research before choosing which toaster oven to buy.
:D

Been there done that........
I spent 2 hours Sunday evening deciding which new tea to order. Decided on a slightly different blend of Irish Breakfast tea. Not much adventure left in my tea soul after the cinnamon rooibos disaster.

Hot Wings

HBA Supporter
Log Member

plncraze

HBA Supporter
No problem! I really appreciate what you have done with the surviving Fauvel materials. I wish you had gotten to his wife before she burned everything. What a loss.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Please do so, take the best from these designs and create a masterpiece ;-)
Especially integrating the motorizing option would be great and I guess most builders would go for it.

Composite construction would be a great option too, but you cannot do everything at once, try to get the wooden version ready first and we can start building this bird ;-)
Went to your site. Good luck looks like it'll be fun.

Hot Wings

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I checked the N number it is assigned to a lake now.
Missing post?? Duplicated below:

The blue AV is in Canada now being repaired by another HBA member.
D-6200, the white one in the video in post #51, doesn't exist any more. :(

You may enjoy this if you don't already have it.
Hadn't seen that one in years. It is now in my archives. Thanks for the posting!

Bille Floyd

How sensitive is the AV-36, in pitch ; compared to a swept or
tailed aircraft ?

Bille

Hot Wings

HBA Supporter
Log Member
How sensitive is the AV-36, in pitch ; compared to a swept or
tailed aircraft ?

Bille
I can't offer an opinion about the AVs since I've not flown one. The pilot reports almost universally have good things to say about the control response.

Flying planks can have control forces and longitudinal stability equal to any conventional plane or swept wing flying wing. The only parameter where a flying plank has trouble matching the others is the pitch damping. Flown with the Cg in the recommended range for a particular flying plank design even this is not a significant limitation, of a well designed plank.

Bille Floyd

The only parameter where a flying plank has trouble matching the others is the pitch damping. Flown with the Cg in the recommended range for a particular flying plank design even this is not a significant limitation, of a well designed plank.
And Herein Lies the the root cause , for my question ... ...

Hope you understand that being # 4 in the world at ACRO on a
flying wing , and i know most of the subtle attributes towards
the consequences, (or lack of) on Pitch Dampening ; I'd like to
know how the Plank, makes for a stable flying aircraft, in the
Pitching moment ? Please put some thought, into your answer !

Bille

Hot Wings

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I'd like to
know how the Plank, makes for a stable flying aircraft, in the
Pitching moment ? Please put some thought, into your answer !
Not much thought required here. ;)

A flying wing is bound by the same laws of physics that any other airplane is, be it conventional, canard, or any sweep of flying wing. The math is the same, but it has restricted bounds for some parameters compared to a tailed plane. The Backstrom article in post #54 does a reasonable job of explaining the basics.

Bille Floyd

I fly hang gliders, and paragliders , so
I should probably leave this Thread ; lots of GA pilotes
would call me nuts !

Bille

Last edited:
Group Builder