Fans of the Davis DA-2...

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

FritzW

...Is that dust? I'd love to see any details of how the stabs are connected to the airframe. Either from close up photos or plans.

Yep, that's good 'ol New Mexico 'T' hangar dust. Arizona gives us thousands of tons of it every spring. ...we share it with Texas :roll:

Davis DA-2.jpg ...just thought it was neat

DA-2 2305.jpg ...stab attach

FritzW

Thanks Fritz
I'm still trying to work out the details on how my stabilators will attach

I'll take some better pictures tomorrow if I get out there (I plan to be there tomorrow but the wife has the day off so I might be cleaning rain gutters :gig: )

Thanks Fritz
I'm still trying to work out the details on how my stabilators will attach
Referring to pictures 2 and 3 that Fritz posted..

Each stabilator has a tubular steel spar which slides into the welded up structure which is green in those pictures (also see the plans page he posted). The spar is held in the mount by means of the control arm which is the part at the bottom of the stabilator mount and looks to have minor surface rust.

There is a Davis yahoo group which has a bunch of good detailed pictures of this assembly.

Fritz, any idea on a ballpark figure the owner is looking for?

FritzW

...Fritz, any idea on a ballpark figure the owner is looking for?

What we really need to do is get it out of the hangar before the next hangar payment is due in two weeks. ...$500 would be a nice help for the family.

FritzW

I've return PM'd everyone who asked about the Davis. If you have any more questions let me know.

Thanks
Fritz

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
I will bet anyone on this forum or elsewhere a six-pack of beer or a bottle of Scotch that adding VG's to the DA-2, and the addition of 18 inch Wittman style trapezoidal wingtips, would deliver a significant measurable performance improvement in several areas. I made the same claim about the VP-1 some time ago and I stand by that as well.

FritzW

I talked to Bryan Cass this morning (the new rights owner of the DA-2). He's chomping at the bit to join the HBA and talk about the DA-2 but he's having technical problems (Topaz knows about it and can hopefully get it sorted out).

He's got some really smart ideas to revitalize the design. ...I'm sure he'll fill us in when he gets here.

skier

He's got some really smart ideas to revitalize the design. ...I'm sure he'll fill us in when he gets here.

Can't wait to see what he's got up his sleeve for this old design.

fmartin_gila

A previous post mentioned some sort of mod to the plan to accomodate a bubble top. If one does a search for "lifting body aircraft", you can see how Leeon managed to get by with the amount of wing that he designed. The fuselage of Leeon's creation looks like a large airfoil. I believe any sort of bubble top would result in needing somewhat more wing or power increase to come anywhere close to the performance if plans-built. A very good reason to "build to the plan".

Fred

FritzW

Not a part I'd enjoy making from scratch...

I don't think it would be hard to make, just fiddly and tedious (my two least favorite things). I sure wouldn't let it stand between me and an airplane I really wanted to build.

If the plans included paper templates for each tube it'd reduce the fiddlyness a whole bunch. Maybe even include plans for a simple jig

ie.DSC_0151.jpg DSC_0156.jpg

...or just buy the thing finish welded and ready to bolt on :gig: