Quantcast

Falco F.8L

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

ATP-Pete

I'm impressed with what I've read about the F.8L and am considering building one. Is anyone building one? I'm also considering the RV-7 and Thorp T-18 (or S18). Slower aircraft that I'm also considering include the Falconar F12A, Littner CP60 and Wittman Tailwind (W-10). Is there any one of these aircraft that will take considerably less time to build than the others?

Any comments from knowledgeable builders would be greatly appreciated. I realize that choosing an aircraft is a very personal decision but I also would consider the input from seasoned builders. The F.8L is undoubtedly gorgeous, though. Thanks! --Pete

djschwartz

Haven't built a Falco but did fly one with a friend who did up in northern Idaho. It was a very nice flying plane with excellent visibility from the large bubble canopy. It was a huge project for him and he was a very competent builder. That seems to be the prevailing opinion of it; gorgeous plane, lots of work to build; a real commitment required.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
DJ is right... be prepared to invest a significant amount of years in a project like this. My understanding is that it is not a beginner's plane to build.

Careca

You can have a glimpse of how much work and hours are involved in building a Falco in the following website:

Falco F8L Construction

It’s a typical Italian product… great looks, great performance, lots of personality and lots of work J

ATP-Pete

Thank you, everyone, for your kind replies. Perhaps the F.8L would be too much for me to tackle. I'd rather fly than build and more than a couple of years building sounds almost insurmountable at this point in my life. --Pete

djschwartz

Thank you, everyone, for your kind replies. Perhaps the F.8L would be too much for me to tackle. I'd rather fly than build and more than a couple of years building sounds almost insurmountable at this point in my life. --Pete
If you're looking to get a moderately high performance bird in the air in two years or less your best bet is a quick build kit from some one like Vans or Lancair. Any plans built or raw kit is going to take longer than that unless you have a LOT of time, are very well equipped, and experienced at building. Be fore warned, almost all makers of kits and sellers of plans understate the build time. Some by a whole lot. This usually isn't dishonesty, its just optimism and poor accounting for what it really took them to build their prototype.

If you'd really rather fly than build; then buy. Especially today when prices are down for all aircraft, even good ones. And partially completed homebuilts have been hit especially hard. There are some real deals out there if you shop around.

rpellicciotti

There are several really nice Falcos for sale out there right now. Because of the depressed economy, you can buy one of these planes for less than it would cost to build one. If you would rather fly than build and you want a Falco, check this site:
Sequoia Aircraft Corporation
and click on "Falcos for sale"

spitfire68

Hello to you!

I have for sale a lot of brand new parts for a Falco. All professionnaly made,lazer cut, digitaly bent and welded state of the art. Using the proper metal grade, spotless. I have all the moulds for the engine cowling and interior. Canopy and canopy frame. Some parts are even duplicated as a team of three builders got started.

Due to moving country I had to stop the project.

This material is in France.

Please ask the pics on a CD !

pierreyves.aubry@free.fr

Talk to you soon!

Dauntless

Rural Solano County, California, near Travis AFB.
I'm impressed with what I've read about the F.8L and am considering building one. Is anyone building one? I'm also considering the RV-7 and Thorp T-18 (or S18). Slower aircraft that I'm also considering include the Falconar F12A, Littner CP60 and Wittman Tailwind (W-10). Is there any one of these aircraft that will take considerably less time to build than the others?
I helped a friend build an RV-6A from the basic kit in the early 90's, so my comments may be relevant to the RV-7. Anyway, it took him and his very helpful wife three years to build it, working quite diligently (my help was more sporadic). There are just a LOT of pieces there. He was working full time and she was raising four kids, and then there is the inevitable learning curve (even though he had built and flown a Midget Mustang previously). Interestingly, now that the kids are grown and gone, and he works part time, they built and flew their second RV-6A in just 9 months a couple of years ago, so an RV doesn't have to be a life-long project. They are a fine airplane.

The Tailwind is quite straight forward to build if you are already a competent and confident welder. It's a very basic and simple design with a gratifyingly low parts count, but it is not a first-time welder project. They are also somewhat short-coupled, and the flaps are there mainly to improve your vision over the nose during the approach and landing. In any case, I always found mine a joy to fly and easy to own and work on. Any experienced tail-dragger pilot can easily transition to it. Steve Wittman designed it in an era when all pilots were trained in tail-draggers, and he presumes a certain lightness of foot on the rudder pedals... :gig:

For all the Tailwind's somewhat frumpy looks, they are right quick cruisers, too. With a converted O-290G (125 hp), it indicated 145 mph at 7500' at WOT (~75% power) with a Warnke prop.

Kristoffon

bmcj is right that Falco is a hard work for a starter, but can anyone suggest a beginner's plane to start with ?

Thanking you in advance :)
I'm building an Osprey-II which is also wooden yet the costruction is very simple and straightforward. If you're looking for a wooden plans-built IMHO this is a good starting point. Also, a lot easier to fly.

I plan to use it as stepping stone to next build a GP-4 which is very similar to the Falco and probably as complicated - I still can't make sense of a few of the drawings.

rpellicciotti

bmcj is right that Falco is a hard work for a starter, but can anyone suggest a beginner's plane to start with ?

Thanking you in advance :)
Take a look at the Corby Starlet. A simple, straight forward, all-wood airplane. Nice flyer as well.

For what it is worth, most Falcos are built by first time builders.

Autodidact

From what I understand, the plans and builder support for the Falco have have been very good, which would explain the relatively high success rate for completions of this complex aircraft.

bundysax

Well the Falco is alot of work but so is the GP-4, so why not build a GP-4 ? it cruises at 220 to 249 mph ! Check out this bad boy below !

Last edited by a moderator:

bmcj

HBA Supporter
If you want fast, 2-place, and wood construction, there's also the Siers Barracuda. I've read that the Barricuda is not too difficult to build, but I have no personal experience to confirm that. Here's a link:

BARRACUDA from Aircraft Spruce

It says it builds up like a model airplane with no complex jigging.

Bruce :)