• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

FAIRCHILD 24 N 4714 RISING FROM THE DEEP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cklskypilot

Good morning I just bought a plane off ebay. The auction listed the plane as a 1935 fairchild 24 project. Man was that a understatement. The first thing was that it was not a 1935 but is a 1938 there was no right wing. But there is a new set of spars and ribs for the both wings. the landing gear right side was rip off the lower mount and the fire wall forward was gone except for sheet metal and bent motor mount. fuse. is good but all wood is brocken and needs replace. NOW FOR THE STORY. iTS A OVERCAST MORNING HERE IN THE PACIFIC NW. The morning marine air is just starting to burn off and its looking to be a great day for flying. The airline pilot had just bought this plane and was heading home with it. That morning he was going to fly out of hood river Oregon and head down the gorge [ col. river ] and stop at a airshow/fly-in and show off his new plane.. and yes it was a jewel. shortley after take off he was running into low clouds and took the plane lower. He was just about 100 feet above the river when his engine quit. He had no choice he had to put it down in the river.. And he did. He put the plane down on the river and it sunk to the bottom. Now for the good and the bad. The bad first the plane sunk in over 100 feet of water on the up side of the Bonnivlle Dam.
The good. The plane was found with cameras and a diver was sent down to retreive it. The plane at that time was water log. BUT UNDAMAGE AT THAT POINT. They lifted the plane off the watery floor and brought it to shore. At this point the plane is still undamage. Then this happens. The guy operating the recovery winch truck / tow truck does not give the plane time to drain and keeps lifting the plane up by the motor mount. YES THIS MORON HAD A CHOCKER ON THE MOTOR MOUNT AND HE JUST KEEP GOING AND GOING AND GOING. And as the plane was being drug up the hill it had the Right wing and the right landing gear rip off the plane. Then the moron sold the plane to a guy in Fl. but he used the pictures that they took of the plane as it was brought to shore with no damage. needless to say that new owner was piss off. then it went to a new owner that guy kept the engine forward. and sold the plane to the guy that made the ribs and spars and the guy that I bought the plane from.. Now its my turn. The plane will be coming home to hy shop in about 3 weeks as I am making room in my shop for the plane at this time. I will up date with pics as I bring it home and rebuild it. I have to come up with 20,000 dollars as that is what the guy that has the engine and the prop wants for it. . its all zero time since complete rebuild and worth what he wants for it. Will I guest I have my next 3 year project. I will post pic as I go. thank you Chuck

Back