Facet Opel

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by Topaz, Apr 13, 2006.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 21, 2014 #261

pylon500

pylon500

pylon500

While this is only rumour, I had heard that part of the design philosophy was that the wing skin halves, (top and bottom) were layed up in the same mould, thus adding to the symmetrical wing section theory...?

Behave Bex.......
    R N is allowed his paranoia.

2. Aug 21, 2014 #262

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

I heard there is some people after him but those are just things you hear and I'm sure there's no truth in it at all. :para:

I should be in Taree in a month or so.

3. Sep 8, 2014 #263

haiqu

haiqu

haiqu

I should be driving through Taree on Thursday on my way from Ipswich to Newcastle, then Sydney-Temora-Sydney--->>---Rotorua-Wairoa.

The detour to Temora is to look at property for sale near the airport.

4. Sep 8, 2014 #264

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

Do yourself a favour and drop into Morgan and AAK at the airport, never met Gary but Ole's a great guy, well when I say "great", I mean great for someone from the Netherlands so he's actually borderline not like'able which is above average for a Dutchman.

Don't know if 'Roo Whistles' work for sheep Mate. While you're there say hello to Baaaabara for me.

bmcj likes this.
  5. Oct 16, 2014 #265

flyoz

flyoz

flyoz

Dean , Scott's brother is rebuilding the Opal
    It looks like it will fly again but needs some assistance
    Attached find the latest article from Sport Flyer Oct 2014 ( Australia )
    Any help appreciated i think
    Flyoz

Attached Files:

flyvulcan likes this.
  6. Nov 24, 2014 #266

Chlomo

Chlomo

Chlomo

Please please please send me the footage of av60 and a copy of its plan! Please please! No? Why why why why why why!

7. May 19, 2015 #267

Doggzilla

Doggzilla

Doggzilla

Oh wow, this makes one of my designs even more relevant...

Very similar, but with spars out of the way. Was originally a solution to the problems with the Rutan Voyager, which had serious issues with changing pilots, due to the cramped spaces.

I knew it could be applies to something similar to this, but seeing this aircraft basically knocked me off my chair. I can make something REALLY good out of this. Im going to have to produce a model or a mockup of this somehow. After my current project, I MUST move on to this. Wow.

8. May 20, 2015 #268

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Any word on the progress of the new build?

9. May 20, 2015 #269

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

It's coming along but Dean is very busy with another invention/project of his which helps handicapped people to play Lawn Bowls and only gets to the Opal when he can.

sotaro and Topaz like this.
  10. Sep 22, 2015 #270

Bouncing_Tigger

Bouncing_Tigger

Bouncing_Tigger

I have a complete Pricerite Engineering kit in 1/4 scale for the Facet Opal. The fibreglass and canopy on mine are particularly well made, the clear plastic moulding of the canopy fitting precisely into the fiberglass canopy frame. The wing is all balsa with hardwood spar. I also have the Glider Island 1/4 scale Backstrom short kit, never thought there was an association between the two and I should pull the kits out of the shed and compare. Both are tiny compared with my 1/4 scale Fauvel!

11. Sep 23, 2015 #271

DangerZone

DangerZone

DangerZone

Are there any pictures available..? Could it be the wingspar was also made that way and that the bond between the two separated in flight?

12. Sep 23, 2015 #272

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

No. Read back through the thread. The reasons for the crash are described in sufficient detail.

13. Sep 23, 2015 #273

DangerZone

DangerZone

DangerZone

Yes indeed, but I am more of a visual guy and interested in the Opal building technique than the crash itself which was sufficiently detailed in the thread. The Opal seems like a great aircraft so some details how the wings and spars were built might maybe also satisfy the curiosity of other members on the forum.

14. Sep 23, 2015 #274

Jay Kempf

Jay Kempf

Jay Kempf

The Opal seemed like a very straight forward and possibly safe machine if operated within some limits. I have built and flown so many plank flying wings that it amazes me that they are not more prevalent in full size. So simple. And you could get away with a fully symmetrical wing with a slight reflex of the trailing edge components just in rigging. It would fly great. Might not be the most efficient aerodynamically but it would be light and simple to build. four skins out of one mold and if the cockpit shell was symmetrical you could get two skins out of one mold there as well. the spars could be just wood box molds. A space frame safety cage in the middle bolted over the top of the spars to hold pilot, engine, gear and controls and a few hard points for attaching the pod skin and you have about as simple a craft as can be produced. Scott got some good numbers out of the Opal mainly due to low interference drag, low induced drag at high speed, and power to weight, proper pusher design. Too bad it had an inflight breakup. Wasn't a fault of the design per se it sounds like. Was some maintenance or modification botch. I'd would build and fly something like that without hesitation.

DangerZone and Victor Bravo like this.
  15. Sep 24, 2015 #275

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

X2
    Agreed, agreed, and agreed.

Certainly not as high of an L/D as a purpose designed plank airfoil, but easy and reliable. One wing skin mold more than justifies the slight loss in efficiency... by cutting your tooling costs and tooling build time in half.

The reason I have a Schreder RS-15 glider fuselage pod getting dusty in my hangar is for just this type of project.

The only difficulty with this layout is a more complicated landing gear than you could otherwise get away with.

Four of the larger model jet turbine engines in the trailing edge would make the landing gear smaller, but that's another can of worms, TBO, fuel burn, etc.

16. Sep 24, 2015 #276

DangerZone

DangerZone

DangerZone

Indeed, Scott Winton has done a great composite aircraft. However, I was wondering about the fuselage wingspar assembly: whether it had a single piece wingspar and then wrapped the fuselage parts around it or if it had a single piece fuselage and inserted the two wingspars from the sides. It seems assembly information was not discussed much in the thread so I thought it might be interesting to know what kind of building technique Scott used. Since the building composite materials were glass, carbon, aramid and wood, this would have allowed Scott pretty much anything. And the information about a shaft protruding from the wingspar does not clarify much cause there are various different techniques for that kind of assembly. I was simply curious if there is some relevant information about that. We have a saying that 'a picture is a thousand words' so a picture of the inner assembly might 'speak' better than all information provided so far about this detail.

17. Sep 24, 2015 #277

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Even a two-piece wing would require some kind of spar carry-through in the fuselage, so it's a fair bet on an airplane this size that the spar was a single piece from tip to tip.

18. Sep 24, 2015 #278

DangerZone

DangerZone

DangerZone

That would surely make sense, but then again there are gliders with much larger wingspans and similar fuselages which have spars attached from the sides... A picture with wings disassembled or detached would definitely reveal a lot. It's really an interesting aircraft, there are only a few of them with such tailless configuration.

19. Sep 24, 2015 #279

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

I would bet that the original Facet Opal had a one-piece spar. The reason that the European sailplanes have plug-in wings is because they have to go in and out of a trailer almost every time they fly, and they don't fit into normal size T-hangars. The Facet Opal was small enough that it did not have to "live" in a trailer.

If you plan the construction ahead well enough you could build a one piece wing, even with the skins unbroken tip to tip. The pilot does not have to be behind the leading edge because the engine can be positioned to balance the pilot being a bit further forward than absolutely necessary. This will yield the lightest and stiffest (and lowest parts count) wing possible. Greatly simplified attach hardware too. No highly loaded tubular pins or half-inch bolts taking all the bending loads across the carry-through.

Make no mistake, this "simplification" would require much more time and effort in construction planning. All the controls, fuel system, landing gear stuff would have to be finalized and operational before you mated the top wing skin onto the bottom. But at the end of the day it would give you an improvement in weight and "structural efficiency".

My version would have the Valley Engineering 50HP V-twin engine, or one of Pete Plumb's 60HP Pegasus O-100 engines in it. The choice of engine for an airplane is driven by several factors, not the least of which are where you are flying and what the consequences of an engine problem will be. A fast flying wing with all the mass behind me and no steel tubes in front of me... flying in the Los Angeles metro area... is simply not an environment for a lot of (otherwise acceptable) engines.

20. Sep 24, 2015 #280

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

Why? It'd obviously fall on the tail, but apart from that?

Rutan-style gear, with the NG being in front of the nose. If it's tall enough, you can simply park it nose-down?

I wouldn't use a single mold for upper and lower skin.

I would incorporate the cockpit in it too. That way you have one (fairly large) mold and you have to build up a spar plus control surfaces (hotwired?). Big mold can be used for the canopy too.

Personally, I'd use the Warren trussed wing I talked about before and build it really light.

I've pondered about a similar configuration with a really slender wing for a while. (And obviously boomed tails). Biggest issue is that even with my chord length (under 18"), total length (cockpit+engine) is always going to be longer than legal trailer width. Even if you tilt up (pitch) the nose up 45 degrees and tow spanwise, it's a mighty big trailer. More so with a shorter, high-chord flying plank.

Apart from that, it's a great configuration for a simple build. With a long enough chord and simple winglets, it should also have fairly decent flying characteristics. Build it light enough and it'd fly pretty awesome on a half-VW.