• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Fabric repair over latex paint

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pshadwick

I managed to damage my Cabin Eagle in a taxi incident (it hasn't flown yet). The damage I'm concerned about here is to the wing tip.

I broke the end ribs.
I have cut back the fabric to the 2nd from end rib bay to check for any additional damage. I have almost completed the structural repair and will shortly need to repair the fabric.
The fabric has been on there less than a year and was painted with latex house paint, including a latex primer.
The fabric is 1.7 oz. and was glued using Stewart system adhesive.
I'm trying to decide the best way to connect the old fabric to the new. I can probably remove the tape over the 2nd to last rib (it was rib stitched) and get to fabric with no paint, however the clear area will be only 2" wide. Do you think it would be satisfactory to glue new fabric where the tape was, rib stitch, and then tape over?
I could also glue the new fabric to the underside of the old. It's not covered in paint but the paint has soaked thru to some extent.
I could try and remove the paint. Is this possible to a sufficient extent to allow a new glue joint? What would I use to remove the paint without compromising the fabric?
Any other ideas?

Thanks...Paul

Back