Fabric covering

Discussion in 'Finishing Techniques' started by horchoha, Oct 11, 2008.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 30, 2009 #21

Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

I did my Jodel 12 years ago using the latex over Stits fabric, with Dupont automotive enamel with flexant for a topcoat. I had used black latex for a UV barrier, with white over that to make the yellow topcoat brighter (and thinner).

Once the cost was all added up, I could have gone Stits (Poly-Fiber) all the way and had a finish that didn't crack so much (flexants? yeah, right) and didn't weigh so much. Dupont isn't cheap, nor is their useless flexant. Good latex paint isn't cheap, either.
    And then I find that black latex is impervious to visible light but can often pass UV.

Flexants are for plastic bumpers and the like. Not for fabric. Found that out too late, too.

So now the airplane should get new fabric. After 12 years. Wish I'd done it right the first time.

Dan

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  2. Jan 30, 2009 #22

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Dan, the automotive topcoat was the cause of your problems. As you said, it is not for fabric. On the other hand, latex is flexible and should be sufficient if the less than glossy finish is desired.
    And Mark Stull usually builds a new ultralight every year anyway.

BB

3. Oct 18, 2009 #23

horchoha

horchoha

horchoha

Can't believe it's been around 10 months since I last posted. Since the wings have been covered last winter, we've been to Barbados again. Getting home from there I took a 2 month rest from working on the Bushmaster. Then in the spring I started to work on the fuse fitting the wings. Then in May I had a hernia operation and was out of commision for 6 or so weeks. This summer I built the elevator trim tab and control system, mounted my radiator and louver controls, mounted a recovery chute in the fuse behind the seats so that the top sticks out the fuse by about 4 inches. Then I got to take the whole fuse apart for the next step. The last couple of weeks I've spent covering the rudder and the fuse. Just finished the top tonight, after completing the bottom and sides. Next is the tapes. Sure do like the Stewart Systems covering materials. I'll post some pics soon.
    Oh yeah, I started taking flying lessons, have 8 hrs dual instruction in a Bushmaster II and have completed 20 hrs ground school.
    Next thing you know, it's just about Christmas.

4. Oct 18, 2009 #24

horchoha

horchoha

horchoha

Just posted a dozen progress pics in my album.

5. Oct 30, 2009 #25

horchoha

horchoha

horchoha

Posted another pic in my album. I'd like to say one thing----it's quite the art to transition the fabric from the tail moment to the vertical stab. You have to be smarter than the fabric, and one step ahead of it! I'm very pleased with the results for the first time that I've done this one a full sized plane. I've done it numerous times on my scratch built RC planes, but the pucker facter is a bit larger on a full size, if you know what I mean.

6. Feb 28, 2010 #26

horchoha

horchoha

horchoha

Hi Everyone. Been awhile. Years go by faster as I gets older. Does anyone know how the h*ll to stop that???
    Well, all pieces have been covered with fabric. I have given the elevators, horizontal stab, rudder, LG swing arms, and fuse the first brushed coat of EkoFill. Again I must say, no solvent vapors, no smell at all. Sure fills the weave, especially the second brushing of the first crosscoat. Once the wings are done I have to build a paint booth in the shop for the next step of spraying on the next 2 crosscoats of EkoFill.
    Posted 3 pics in my album.
    All for now.

7. Mar 4, 2010 #27

Wit

Wit

Wit

Someone once said "Life is like a roll of toilet paper - the closer you get to the end of it, the faster it goes". :ponder:

I just got the Stewart Systems videos, and sure wish I had seen them before I covered my last airplane. If I do another fabric job, it will be with that system for sure.

Keep us posted.

8. May 21, 2010 #28

horchoha

horchoha

horchoha

Again, it's been a while. I am determined to be a 10%er. Of all projects that get started, 10% get finished. I have finished spraying on the Ekofil on all the surfaces. I must admit I ran into some problems when first spraying and had to give Stewart Systems a call. When I placed the call the receptionist said that Doug and Dan were down in Florida at Sun n Fun. She then promptly forwarded my call to them. Dan answered his cell while setting up the booth there and took the time to hear my concerns and imediately had the solution to my problem. Now that what's what I call customer service. They treated a little guy like me with my ultralight plane as if I was the most important customer they had. Kudos!
    Now the update-- just received my paint today. I picked Ag Cat yellow w/ Red and Blue trim. My wife picked Insignia white w/ Red and Blue trim. I'm gonna love my Insignia white Bushmaster II w/ Red and Blue trim:)
    Treated myself to a Flightline FL-760 transceiver, for the price this looks to be a sweet deal for a non certified transceiver. I've used this transceiver in the Bushmaster that I'm taking lessons in. BTW I have .8 hrs solo time in. Another 10 - 15 hrs and my instructor might cut me loose.
    All for now
    Perry

9. May 29, 2010 #29

horchoha

horchoha

horchoha

Hi everyone. Started shooting paint Wednesday. Completed the L.G. swing arms, inspection hole covers, elevators, and nose bowl. Tonight started the horizontal stab, cowling aluminum, and rudder. Painting is a breeze, especially since my youngest son is a auto painter. All he had to do was speed up the paint gun travel a bit.
    First coat is fogged on. Open the flow 1/8 of a turn and shoot the 2nd coat 90* to the first. Open the flow 1/8 again and shoot the third coat 90* to the second. Fourth coat has the flow opened to 1 1/4 and is sprayed on 90* to the 3rd coat. Looks dry initially, but really shines up as it flows out and starts to kick..Everything cleans up with water.
    Have some painting pics posted in my album.

10. May 31, 2010 #30

horchoha

horchoha

horchoha

Sunday 6am (yawn) ... out to the shop, empty out the paint booth, bring in the fuse, rub it down with Scotchbrite pads, wipe and blow it off.
    Sunday 11:30am ... fuse is painted. I think we'll take the rest of the weekend off.

[​IMG]
    Couple of more pics added to the album.

11. Jun 4, 2010 #31

horchoha

horchoha

horchoha

Right wing ready to come out of the booth. Couple of more pics in the album.

[​IMG]

12. Jun 13, 2010 #32

horchoha

horchoha

horchoha

Posted 3 more pics of the project. I've started a new project also, started building a hangar to store the plane in once it's finished.
    [​IMG]

13. Jun 25, 2010 #33

horchoha

horchoha

horchoha

I must apologise for not using the builders log, but I enjoy any and all comments about my progress. Since I have started this thread I might as well finish it here. I've added a couple more pics to my album. I never thought I'd be saying "final assembly of..."
    In reguards to my panel...you can't open a book or go online and find the wiring schematic that just fits your project plane. Take a peice of paper and build your panel on it, it's easy to fix mistakes or change things on paper. Take all the best ideas you find and put them together to make your own schematic. Take the time to label your wiring on paper and as your doing it, it pays off months, years later during final assembly.
    It's amazing that even though you've built the plane, taken it apart, put it together again, take it apart again, when it come to final assembly, you scratch your head and ask yourself "how the heck did this go???". Take lots of pics, keep a build journal and you'll be amazed how much you return to these to reference them.
    And thats about all for now.
    Perry

14. Jun 27, 2010 #34

horchoha

horchoha

horchoha

Good day in the shop today. Finished up the tubing lines to the Alt, ASI, and VSI. Installed the nose bowl and engine cowling. Completed the interior head liner and back liner. Installed the windshield. Took the plane outside for some sun and a couple of pics.
    Posted 3 more pics in the album.
    [​IMG]
    Perry

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  15. Jul 11, 2010 #35

horchoha

horchoha

horchoha

Had a couple of busy weeks. Framed up the 'T' hangar last weekend. During the week I cut out the lexan doors, stiffened them up with some 6061T6 3/8" alum tube, manufactured a couple of door handles, and installed the air vents. My lathe came in very handy for making the peices of the handles that go through the lexan. Installed the doors Fri nite and Sat morning.
    4 more pics in my album.
    [​IMG]
    And I even managed to put in 80 hrs at my regular job.

16. Jul 19, 2010 #36

horchoha

horchoha

horchoha

Another good weekend. Installed the GSC prop. Installed horizontal stab. Fabricated the tail feather flying wires and installed. Installed elevators and set throws at 20* up elevator and 15* down elevator.
    Posted 5 more pic in my build album.
    [​IMG]

Perry

17. Aug 2, 2010 #37

horchoha

horchoha

horchoha

Hi Again.
    My, my its August already. Where does the time go. The older I gets the faster it goes.
    Another good weekend. Received my Galvalume sheeting and screwed it on the roof. Put up some poly on the ceiling of the hangar so the birds have no place to roost and crap on the plane. That sh1ts like acid on fabric.
    Attached both wing 1/2ve's for the first time. Trimmed the doors so they don't scape the underside of the wing.
    Next is the dehidral check, wing incidence check, and to do a weight and balance.
    3 more pics in the album.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  18. Aug 2, 2010 #38

horchoha

horchoha

horchoha

Oh yes, and fabricate some jury struts too.

19. Aug 16, 2010 #39

horchoha

horchoha

horchoha

Hey Guys

Checked wing incedence and dehidral. Both are in spec. Did the weight and balance. C-IDOV came in at 575 lbs empty. Gross weight is 900 lbs. Fuel payload will be 56 lbs.
    C.G. range specs is 11"-18" from L.E. C-IDOV came in at 14.6" C.G. from L.E.
    Performed some ground handling checks on plane.
    Next I have to arrange an inspection by my instructor/ame/test pilot. Once this inspection is done and any changes that need to be done, I will be arranging a test flight.
    [​IMG]
    Couple of more pics posted in my album.

Perry

20. Aug 19, 2010 #40

horchoha

horchoha

horchoha

Hi Everyone

Had a flying lesson on Sunday, dual instruction, circuits, slow flight, cruise turns, figure 8s.
    Another lesson this morning. .5 hr dual circuits. .5 hour solo circuits.
    Wrote and passed the test for my Radio Operators Certificate on Aug 12.
    Friday morning is booked for the inspection on C-IDOV.
    Just finished putting on the siding on the hangar today. Now it can rain, hail, snow, blow or just plain sunshine and the plane is protected.
    And thats just about all I've got to say about finishing techniques ;-)

Perry