Fabric covering

Discussion in 'Finishing Techniques' started by horchoha, Oct 11, 2008.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 11, 2008 #1

horchoha

horchoha

horchoha

Just took the plunge and ordered materials from Stewart Systems, it's a water based/waterborne covering system.

Probably breaking new ground here, but what the hey, somebody's got to try it. Reasons to try this product is that winter in Alberta can get to 20 - 30 below F. I can heat the shop to 70F, but if I turn the furnace off so I wouldn't light off the fumes from solvent based systems, the shop temp would drop fairly fast. If I used fresh air exchange my furnace would be running 24/7.
    Has anyone tried this system yet?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  2. Oct 12, 2008 #2

pwood66889

pwood66889

pwood66889

They use it in my A&P class, Horch. Seemed to work for me, as that was my first attempt at fabric work and I passed the course. I think you'll do just fine.
    Percy in (please note this) NM, USA

3. Oct 19, 2008 #3

horchoha

horchoha

horchoha

Received my fabric glue, rib refer tape, 2", 3", and 4" tapes, and the 5 DVD instruction video from Western Aviation. Very, very good video (even though I'm still on the second one). They show you step by step on how to lay up the fabric, and glue it down. One thing I notice is that they are working at their own pace, not having to rush because the glue does not set super fast.
    You have to hand to Aircraft Spruce, I ordered 22 yds of 2.7oz Dacron. They didn't have in California, so it was shipped from Georgia to Toronto to Holden, Alberta, Canada via Priority Post Air for $26 freight. Its nice to get a break once in awhile!

Will try to post a pic of my ultralight wings soon as I figure out how to.

Perry

4. Oct 19, 2008 #4

horchoha

horchoha

horchoha

[​IMG]
    Ha! Figured it out! There's a couple more in my album in my profile.

5. Nov 18, 2008 #5

Ron

Ron

Ron

I was 99.9% sure I was going to use the Poly-fibre method to cover my Wagabond next spring, but then I talked to the boys from Stewart systems at SunNFun this past April. Now I'm not so sure. Actually wanted some info about their Stewart Wing Tips and one thing led to another...... spent what seemed like an hour talking to them mostly about the covering process. I got to say, I'm leaning towards the Stewart System now.

6. Nov 18, 2008 #6

horchoha

horchoha

horchoha

I've been working away from home the last 3 weeks, but I've managed to cover the bottom of my left wing this past week end. Work at your own speed, very relaxing, very easy, and no smell or solvents flashing off. Did the initial 250F shrink and nothing moved. Glued the doilies around the strut and jury strut attachments with no issues. I will try to post some pics when I get home on the week end.

7. Nov 18, 2008 #7

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Sweet. Looking forward to your experience with this system.

8. Nov 18, 2008 #8

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I've covered with grade-A cotton, Ceconite, Razorback, and Stits Polyfiber. I love the Polyfiber. Have not used Stewart yet and may not anytime soon since Polyfiber is very easy and gives good results.

9. Nov 18, 2008 #9

Dana

Dana

Dana

I've never done a full cover job (other than dozens of R/C models) but I've done repairs on both Ceconite/dope and Stits. Stits is undoubtedly easier than dope but the chemicals seem very much nastier. The Stewart system is interesting and I like the idea of waterborne materials but it looks like considerably more work.

-Dana

Duelling is legal in Paraguay as long as both parties are registered blood donors.

10. Nov 19, 2008 #10

pwood66889

pwood66889

pwood66889

I'm still gonna go with Stewart iffn I ever get any thing to cover. My experience is helping on the wings of my Ercoupe, which was done in Stitts, and the Stewart at school. My wife has a very sensitive nose!
    Percy (still) in NM, USA

11. Nov 19, 2008 #11

badger

badger

badger

Tooele Utah It's 40 klicks south and west of SLC

"Percy (still) in NM???? " You looking to move somewhere bud? One of my first X-countrys was/is going to be zipping down there and buying you some mesican food! (Building my wings this winter, I HOPE!!) Tried to attach a pic of my fuselage....not sure where it went! Oh...it's right there! Didnt see it before I posted this.

Anyway, you moving or what?

John

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  12. Nov 22, 2008 #12

horchoha

horchoha

horchoha

I've uploaded a couple of pics of the Stewart Systems covering project of the bottom of the left wing. Tonite I cut out the top fabric, glued it to the LE, root end and outer end.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  13. Nov 29, 2008 #13

horchoha

horchoha

horchoha

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Just thought I'd post some more pics of my first attempt at covering and rib stitching. I am very pleased with Stewart Systems covering techniques. Again, you work at your own pace with a stress level of 0.0. My shop temp is 65F. Outside temp 30F - 34F.

14. Nov 29, 2008 #14

pwood66889

pwood66889

pwood66889

Dunno `bout the move, John. My A&P course wraps up next week, then the FAA written testing begins. Have to take 3 at a hundred bucks a pop! Then the practical - Wish Me Luck!
    The real luck will be finding a way to make some money now that I'm out of excuses. Worked on a guys Ercoupe today, so might stay in Roswell.
    So keep in touch - we may do Mexican yet! Is your plane a LMA?
    Percy

15. Dec 23, 2008 #15

horchoha

horchoha

horchoha

Finished the tapes on the left wing last week. Just put the right wight in the wing jig and covered the bottom yesterday. Here's a pic I took last week at my place, I hope it will make most of you feel warm!
    [​IMG]Wishing All of you the Happiest of Holidays

Perry

16. Dec 23, 2008 #16

rtfm

rtfm

rtfm

Hi,
    Took a detour through your Gallery. Nice. Any chance of you revisiting the pictures and adding some commentary? Folks like me don't really understand what I'm looking at.

Regards,
    Duncan

17. Dec 23, 2008 #17

horchoha

horchoha

horchoha

rtfm,
    Consider it done. Thanks for the heads up.

Perry

18. Jan 3, 2009 #18

horchoha

horchoha

horchoha

Well......another year has passed.......does that mean I'm a year closer to finishing my project?:ponder:
    Perry

19. Jan 27, 2009 #19

mstull

mstull

mstull

Since this recession has everyone budget conscious, this seems like a good time for someone to come out with a latex based covering system. I keep hearing about people using house paint to save a buck. Evidently, it works reasonably well. But think how much better it could be with glue, sealer, U/V proofer, and paint that were specifically formulated for the purpose... and tested with documented results... designed to come out lighter and/or last longer.

Yes, that would add to the price. But it would sway a lot of people like myself, who aren't comfortable going to a hardware store, hoping their plane comes out okay. I don't know how to get a paint manufacturer interested. I'm sure most might balk at the liability.

20. Jan 27, 2009 #20

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

The premium exterior latex would probably have some UV resistance. All paints have UV barriers either in the form of some additive or the pigments themselves, even white can also absorb UV.

I made a canopy cover about 5 years ago from 1.7 oz dacron and painted it with two coats of latex. I did this as a test to see how long it would last. The paint adheres well everywhere but the wrinkles caused from folding it for storage. The fabric started to rot after three years in the weather here, extreme coastal wind, rain and sun. Probably would hold up better with 4 coats on a stiffer airplane. Anyway, that is my experiment.
    BB