• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

FAA's 'LSA Definition' and Updates to same

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdj

Supporting Member
I have two questions related to the LSA (plane, not pilot) specifications. Maybe they belong in two separate threads, but then again they're sorta related, so here goes:

1) For certification of an LSA, either as E-LSA or S-LSA, you have to meet the ASTM (properly spelled A$TM) Consensus Standards. However, if you build/design an experimental (registered as an E-AB) and want to fly it as a Sport Pilot, the E-AB simply has to 'meet the definition of a LSA' according to most sources I read. So the first question I have is: is there an FAA part/AC/whatever that exactly clarifies, in the eyes of the FAA, this full and complete 'LSA definition'? Or is this definition embedded into the consensus standards?

2) Does anyone know of a website/link that tracks FAA changes to this 'LSA definition', or is it a matter of tracking the various FAA NPRMs manually?

Here's an example of what I'm asking about: most of the non-authoritative websites with 'LSA definition' lists don't always include important info (like max speed is CAS), or leave out a lot of details (like the requirement that an LSA glider have an 'autofeathering' propeller). These non-authoritative websites also don't tend to stay up-to-date. Is there a link to an FAA document that fully describes the current 'LSA definition', or am I totally barking up the wrong tree because it's nowhere near that simple.

As an example of question 2, I then find stuff like this: http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2011/pdf/2011-3777.pdf that show the FAA has changed the LSA rule to allow manually feathering propellers. (I only found out about that due to a passing reference in Kitplanes magazine.)

My reason for looking for these details is because I'm currently looking at designing/building a one-off E-AB design similar to the Phoenix Motorglider ( Home Page ); flown as an LSA in the short-wing configuration and as a motorglider when wing-tip extensions are added. Europa has something similar with their 'sport pilot wing' and 'motorglider wing' options, although in their case they swap the entire wing pair.

I have a PP-SEL certificate and glider add-on rating (but let my medical lapse some time ago on the PP-SEL), so I'm good to go ratings-wise (with the self-launch endorsement). However, I'm curious what happens when I'm, say, flying along in no-wing-extension LSA mode, land somewhere, and I'm ramp-checked by an FAA guy. I show him my certificate but no medical, and say I'm flying as a Sport Pilot in an E-AB of my own design which 'meets the definition of an LSA', but obviously isn't from a known ELSA or SLSA-compliant kit manufacturer. Does he take me at my word, or does he whip out some document and proceed to club me over the head with it?

Back