• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

F-4 Phantom recovery?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halfscalemustang

So here the story, when I was in eight grade a couple of my buddies told me that while deere hunting on their uncles property they found an airplane crash site. For whatever reason we could never get together to go check it out. Last week I was working away and for some reason I remembered that story and it so happen my buddy comes in the shop that same day. I asked him about it and if he could show it to me. He agreed and we set out Sunday afternoon into rural kansas on the hunt for what he said was a WWII fighter. When we got to the site and I started looking over the individual pieces I quickly realized this was no WWII plane. Everything was heavier and and in too good of condition. After looking a dozens of photos I am fairly confident that its an F-4 Phantom, due to the folding wing tips and a 1968 overhaul sticker. Is something like that worth recovering? Just thought I would throw that story out there. Its pretty well buried, apperently the military thought it wasn't worth recovering so they pushed dirt over the top of it and left it.

Back