Quantcast

F-100 Super Sabre (2) Gluhareff Pressure Jet, Lycoming core, other stuff MHV AUCTION

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Victor Bravo

One old Lycoming 4 cylinder engine core, and what looks like a Gluhareff or similar pulsejet / pressure jet.

This looks like it all came from Flight Systems, an iconic gov't contractor company that has been based in Mojave for decades. They used to convert F-100 and F-4 jets to remote controlled target drones.

Toobuilder, wanna upgrade that hi-po jet flying experience to the next level ??? :)

BoKu

Pundit
HBA Supporter
We should all pitch in and buy #128 for Marc Z. in honor of his alma mater.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Funny, I just flew over MHV last weekend, looked at those Huns during my turn, and wondered what would become of them. Hope they go to a good home

starchaser

I worked on those in Germany when we towed targets for the Luftwaffe. They were great jets to mechanic on. Would love to see them go to a good home and fly again.

BJC

HBA Supporter
The Thunderbirds were flying the F-100 the first (and second, and third, ...) time that I saw them. Their performance made me think that it was a wonderful airplane. Then, about 15 years ago, a chapter member and retired Air Force pilot who had flown them gave a talk about them. He didn’t like them at all, and was very negative about the design. Since then, I’ve wondered if they were lousy airplanes or he was a lousy pilot.

Anyone here have any first hand experience flying them?

BJC

TFF

I think it depends on the time you flew them. If you were one of the first, it was probably great. If you were flying them in the guard, you were wishing for front line. I here the afterburner is a real thump. I knew someone who flew them treetop over Cuba supersonic. He liked them. I bet it’s a dangerous plane and unforgiving. It’s a war plane not a dainty aerobatic plane.

plncraze

HBA Supporter
Isn't there a video of the "Sabre dance" where you have too much angle of attack of attack and not enough thrust to power out of it? Another Super Sabre trivia, I think that was the kind of plane Dick Rutan was flying when he ejected right before it blew up.

pwood66889

Strictly hear-say: The F-100 was a blast to fly when LIGHT. Loaded with stuff, and used in a hot climate, they were the pits.
Not hear-say: It was used in "No Runway" experiments. One sad video I saw had the poor pilot unable to lower the nose to fly out of a stalled situation during the rocket takeoff.

TFF

I wouldn’t consider The No Runway program in any way normal flying. Those were big rockets, not baby JATOs.

gtae07

I bet it’s a dangerous plane and unforgiving.
Isn't there a video of the "Sabre dance" where you have too much angle of attack of attack and not enough thrust to power out of it?
That's my understanding as well.
I've taken to listening to podcasts in the car and on my lunchtime walks at work; on one they had a guy on that flew the F-86 and the F-100. He said the F-86 was a wonderful airplane but he really hated the F-100.

TFF

F86 was wonderful it was also really an extension of WW2 planes. But originally the F -86 was considered dangerous and the AirForce was scared of it. Some test pilot named Hoover flew it horizon to horizon with the gear down 5 ft altitude during a demonstration. You can imagine a little group of Generals sitting in stands out on the middle of Edwards and the announcer saying something like” looks pretty stable to me”. That run sold the plane.

The F100 is a whole leap forward. Century series jets were not known for easy flying. They were kick in the balls planes. Pour all those planes together and you got the F4.