EZ Pilot Autopilot (Trio) Question

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Daleandee

For sometime I've wanted to install a simple wing leveler for the longer cross country flights. I found an EZ Pilot (single roll servo) to install but have a question that I haven't found a answer to. Hopefully someone here can give me some guidance.

I need to know if the control head has to be mounted in a flat panel (perpendicular) to the direction of flight or if it's OK to mount it in my panel that is tilted 30º forward when in level flight.

I did send Trio an email yesterday but haven't heard anything back as yet.

TIA,

Dale

Daleandee

I guess the answer is ... "we don't know what the answer is!" 😕

OK then ... I'll take a best guess or a maybe if someone wants to render an opinion.

PS: still no reply to my email inquiry. Maybe I need a ☎

Daleandee

My guess is unless you can compensate for panel tilt in the programming, it needs to be level.
Thanks. That would be my guess also. I don't see anything in the install manual and have found nothing online. Just trying to get ahead of this so I can consider mounting options.

Appreciate the feedback.

Reactions: TFF

Marc Zeitlin

Exalted Grand Poobah
I guess the answer is ... "we don't know what the answer is!" 😕

OK then ... I'll take a best guess or a maybe if someone wants to render an opinion.

PS: still no reply to my email inquiry. Maybe I need a ☎
There's nothing in Trio's documentation that mentions a requirement for panel angle, either vertically or wrt the longitudinal axis. This could mean anything. I'd give them a call and ask for Chuck, Sid or Jerry. They're better at the phone than they are at email, although eventually they'll get back to you. It's not quite a full time job for any of them, I don't believe.

Daleandee

There's nothing in Trio's documentation that mentions a requirement for panel angle, either vertically or wrt the longitudinal axis. This could mean anything. I'd give them a call and ask for Chuck, Sid or Jerry. They're better at the phone than they are at email, although eventually they'll get back to you. It's not quite a full time job for any of them, I don't believe.
Thank you sir!

Daleandee

Just to close the loop on this ...

Mark gave great advice to call rather than email. Jerry answered the phone after a couple of rings and was very pleasant to deal with.

For others that need to know if the unit has to be flat mounted or if it can be tilted Jerry's answer was that it *could* be tilted a few degrees but more than that would effect the reliability of the unit and thus the performance. He noted that they could, if requested (though he said it would be expensive), remount the gyro inside the unit to make it compatible with a panel such as the Sonex that has a 30º tilt. He noted that this had been done for Sonex owners before. I told him I would just mount it so that it was in a proper position in flight.

He told me to call anytime as they were there to help in anyway that was needed. Great guy to deal with!