• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Extreme STOL/VTOL homebuilt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
I have been considering the idea of an extreme STOL homebuilt. This is my plan:
Start with a conventional light or ultralight airplane and add one or more lift fans to provide direct powered lift. This powered lift system would only be needed briefly for takeoff and landing just a few feet above the ground.

Start with a small amount of lift, then gradually add more lift fans for extreme STOL. Then with enough lift eventually VTOL might be possible but start with STOL first.

Any ideas for powered lift fans that could be used for brief thrust of a few seconds?
Stored energy was suggested in a previous thread. JATO works, but is not practical for a civilian, I think.
Any other thoughts appreciated.
BB

Back