Experimental Soaring Association 40th Western Workshop

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, I very much enjoyed watching the previous presentations on youtube and as a member from a far away time zone (utc-10), can somebody record the BoKu talk (should be quite easy in zoom) ? I know I'm in for a treat :)
Thanks in advance!

Just saw this post. The Zoom connection couldn't be accomplished, so Boku gave his presentation over speakerphone. I don't believe it was recorded.

The final two presentations were recorded to video and I have copies. I'll get them edited and up on the ESA YouTube channel ASAP.

sming

Aww :( Hope you had a good times :) What was the topic?
Thanks for your hard work on the youtube channel!

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
Per Topaz' photo and videos, we got a rare treat, to see Jeff's 80 year old museum quality Baby Albatross fly, complete with the sun shining through the fabric as it flew over, the entire wing literally glowing. Truly an awesome sight.

The number of spectacular vintage gliders at this location is astounding considering their rarity. The "true believers" in vintage sailplanes, like Jeff Byard and Doug Fronius and Ron Martin (and several others who I don't know well) are heroes for keeping these things flying, and rebuilding them from matchsticks and bent tubes..

mm4440

Supporting Member
Unfortunately I won't be able to make it this year; I have a critical project for the Reno Air Races and I can't spare the two days it takes to get down and back. However, I could do a Zoom session with the group to talk about some of our recent projects and what's going on with the HP-24 sailplane and HP-26 project. Would that be of interest?
High strength pultrusion UD carbon fiber laminated strip for building reinforcement, Search Alibaba, lots of sources to sort through. 100 & 50 mm widths , 1.2 to 2 or 3 mm thick and100m spools seem standard.
1630978450930.png

mm4440

Supporting Member

The Experimental Soaring Association's covid delayed 40th annual Western Workshop

The workshop will consist of informal open air gatherings and some presentations on Saturday & Sunday Sept 3 & 4, 2022. Events will be at Mountain Valley Airport (L94) in Tehachapi, CA.
The event will be free of charge. Donations will be accepted.

There will also be an informal Vintage Sailplane Association Regatta during the event.

We expect there will be a number of hangars open and available for viewing of the sailplanes and projects based at the airport.
We will join in for pot luck dinners Friday, Saturday & Sun.(?) evenings, bring your own meal. We recommend CDC guidelines be followed.

All the commercial flying operations will be up and running as usual. See: mountainvalleyairport.com or call 661-822-5267.

For questions:

Murry Rozansky 818-590-4495

Al Bowers 661-583-6458

Jeff Byard 661-609-4848

Dan Armstrong 661-619-7750

Quote Reply

addicted2climbing

I will likely fly in for the day in my C182 as well. I have lots of people to talk to and hopefully a few SGS 1-26 people. VB and I both fly out of WHP.

I will probably have an available seat or two if anyone local is interested and OK with just one day. However if Fog happens I will end up driving. last time I went to TSP I was unable to get over the mountains into Valencia and had to land at Fox and take an Uber home to WHP to get my car. On the drive home the clouds were so low I realized how lucky I was that I made the right call.

Marc

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll be there, both days.

As soon as I have an official list of presentation titles from Murry, I'll get the schedule up on the ESA website, here: http://esoaring.com/calendar-copy.shtml. That page also has directions to the event and additional information.

We're still looking to add additional presentations, so if someone has a talk they'd like to present at the symposium, please contact Murry at the phone number posted above.

PiperCruisin

Supporting Member
I will likely fly in for the day in my C182 as well. I have lots of people to talk to and hopefully a few SGS 1-26 people. VB and I both fly out of WHP.

I will probably have an available seat or two if anyone local is interested and OK with just one day. However if Fog happens I will end up driving. last time I went to TSP I was unable to get over the mountains into Valencia and had to land at Fox and take an Uber home to WHP to get my car. On the drive home the clouds were so low I realized how lucky I was that I made the right call.

Marc
Might fly in to KTSP as well. Any chance to bum a ride from downtown to the glider port? Thinking about riding a bike, but don't feel like taking my life in my hands on that road.

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
You can land at the gliderport without too much fuss, I believe. Myself and A2C are both flying in to the gliderport. Jane manages a smile when I fly in, and Larry hasn't reached for the shotgun in several years. No good reason the Cherokee shouldn't be able to get in and out of there unless you have it full of lumberjacks and fuel. I think it's even over 3500 feet usable. Maybe call Jane and ask if there is anything special you need to do, permission, etc. The powerplane pattern is on the south side, so just enter downwind from a couple of miles west, near "Bright Lake" if it's still there.

Mountain Valley Chart Section.jpg

addicted2climbing

You can land at the gliderport without too much fuss, I believe. Myself and A2C are both flying in to the gliderport. Jane manages a smile when I fly in, and Larry hasn't reached for the shotgun in several years. No good reason the Cherokee shouldn't be able to get in and out of there unless you have it full of lumberjacks and fuel. I think it's even over 3500 feet usable. Maybe call Jane and ask if there is anything special you need to do, permission, etc. The powerplane pattern is on the south side, so just enter downwind from a couple of miles west, near "Bright Lake" if it's still there.

View attachment 128830
I usually cross the mountains right around where bright lake is shown then spiral down on the other side to 500’ or so above pattern altitude and then head into KTSP or Skylark. No Awos on Skylark but if there ate gliders in the area you can ask what direction they are landing. I dont trust KTSP Awos to be the same for skylark so try and overfly the sock if I hear nothing from the gliders.

Is there anybody going to the event that could transport a canopy plug down to Los Alamitos for me? I can pay something reasonable for your trouble, and kick in a donation to ESA besides. The canopy plug is about 6' long, and about 2' wide. Please PM me or email me [email protected].

map tehachapi to los alamitos.png

Last edited:

bmcj

Supporting Member
I am a long time attendee, not as much recently, but religiously in the 80’s. I’d always travel up from Flabob with Charlie Webber and Jack Lambie.

I’d love to come this year, but alas, I will be driving my final load on that weekend ain’t our move from Sierra Sky Park (Fresno E79) to Dallas Texas. It’s a sad day moving away from out home and friends at Sky Park, but the kids and grandkids in Texas want us closer to them.

mm4440

Supporting Member
Hi Bob, I have a smallish station wagon with a roof rack. If you think we can secure the plug safely, I can do it. In the back of a pickup would be better, if any one who is coming from the LA area has one? Get me your contact info through, esoating.com
Murry

BJC

Supporting Member
our move from Sierra Sky Park (Fresno E79) to Dallas Texas.
I have a good friend at Pecan Plantation, just below Granbury.

My favorite HBA coffee server is in Granbury. I don’t think that too many places match the history of Flabob, but there is lots to be said about the culture of Texans. In about 20 years, they may consider you to be an honorary Texan.

BJC