Experimental Soaring Association 40th Western Workshop

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

addicted2climbing

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Unfortunately I won't be able to make it this year; I have a critical project for the Reno Air Races and I can't spare the two days it takes to get down and back. However, I could do a Zoom session with the group to talk about some of our recent projects and what's going on with the HP-24 sailplane and HP-26 project. Would that be of interest?
On another note... Any chance of getting the HP24 in Condor2? Unsure if your existing CAD model would be a starting point or ot, but would be cool to have in there.

Marc

PiperCruisin

HBA Supporter
Wish I could be there, but doing engine break in. Next year. Look forward to any Zoom meetings or postings.

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
If you send me the zoom link I will share that with the local EAA chapter that I recently joined.

I’ll try to be on the Zoom meeting if I can get home in time after giving a Powerplant exam.

Terry

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Wow, VB! Don't OVERprepare! 😁

Addicted2Climbing and I had a nice dinner at a great BBQ dive and the workshop starts tomorrow at 9am at the usual place.

Victor Bravo

Topaz and co. see if you can sniff around there in the morning before I get there and find me a good cheap used 1-26, 1-23, or HP-14 or something that can be stored on a tiedown. My excessive wealth accumulation over the last year now affords me the largesse to spend up to five or six dollars. Seven if's a trophy winner.

You might run into someone that won't be there all day, or someone I don't run into, etc.

There's not supposed to be fog or cloud at Whiteman tomorrow, so if I can blast off early and go to breakfast with you, I will. Otherwise, I'll be arriving in disguise as "that old guy in the Volvo wagon".

sming

Hi, I very much enjoyed watching the previous presentations on youtube and as a member from a far away time zone (utc-10), can somebody record the BoKu talk (should be quite easy in zoom) ? I know I'm in for a treat :)
Thanks in advance!

watt

Hello Topaz and all experimental soaring association members.
I am an amateur aircraft designer, and used to post here in 2014.
New design for a long range aircraft
This aircraft has been modified from its original form and is now in construction.
The image below is an illustration of what it will look like.

I an writing to you, because I know that you are into Glider design, and I am now interested in the conception of a new glider, nothing commercial, just a fun exercise. I would call it a research project for now. Not having any ideas, other than the obvious ones, I have decides to start with a study, and try to understand what makes us fly and from there start with a blank page.

It is a mix of fun questions with technical ones, that I hope will show an Ah-ah moment on witch i can start with the design.
Please, pass it on to other pilots, it is a fast survey and I will share whatever interesting results on this thread.
Best of fun on this Labor day week-end, I wish I was there.
François

Attachments

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
It is a mix of fun questions with technical ones
Question 11 limits your market survey to Europe - IMHO.
Self-launch option #5:

Almost mandatory.
Question #29

14 only allows one option - but asks for 2

The whole survey seems a little biased to racing?

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
PXL_20210904_163127022.PORTRAIT.jpg

TRIP REPORT
The 2021 Experimental Soaring Association Western Workshop marked a return to "in person" meetings after last year's COVID-19-mandated cancellation. It was wonderful to see so many familiar faces again and meet up to talk soaring, homebuilding, and vintage aircraft.

This year's event was shorter than normal, with only four "formal" presentations (we normally have presentations all day both Saturday and Sunday), but this was, again, an artifact of COVID. Next year should mark a return to the regular format.

This year's in-person presentations focused on soaring heritage:

• History and types of the Bowlus Sailplane Company
  • Restoration project for the Robinson "Robin" JR-IV
  • Restoration project for the SGS 2-8
We also had an excellent teleconference presentation call by our own Boku, Bob Kuykendall, on the latest developments with the HP-24, HP-26, his company, and some new materials he's been exploring.

I have raw video of the last two presentations thanks to the ESA's dedicated in-house videographer, and I'll get those posted to the ESA YouTube channel as soon as I get the chance. I have quite a few more presentations from the 2019 event and, now that things are getting a little less crazy in my personal life, I'm hoping to get those edited and posted as well.

Throw in a couple of BBQs, some great weather, and a great bunch of people, and we've had a wonderful time. Several HBA members showed up, including myself, Victor Bravo, addicted2climbing, Map, mm4440, and Peter Hudson. If any others of you were there and I missed you, my deepest apologies.

I have a photo album of pictures from the event posted here: ESA Western Workshop 2021

I had a wonderful time, as always. I know several of you are thinking of making it out for next year - I really hope you can make it. Should be a great event!

mm4440

Boy Topaz is fast. This was up before I got home. The very soft spoken star, Sonja. thanks for flying down. Great to see everyone. Mo' later.

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
Sorry we missed it. I was working on certifying a new Powerplant mechanic that I had the privilege of giving an Airframe certification 4 years ago. Did you guys try to have a Zoom meeting for the event?

Sure wished we could have seen everyone there.

Terry