Experimental Soaring Association 40th Western Workshop

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Fiberglassworker

Not that I keep track of every glider in the universe, but I can't remember ever seeing anything as unique-looking as the T53 anywhere near here... is this glider supposed to be somewhere in the Southwest US?
Bob Holland and his T53 are in Oregon Registration Number N1664. it was in Texas.

peter hudson

It would interesting to see how an experimental plane, specifically designed to be built by a club, as a tow plane, would come out.

FYI I plan to attend the workshop in Tehachapi this fall

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
All those Zenith high wing STOL airplanes out there, all those Cub-ish replicas, the Bearhawks, the Murphy series, etc. could serve as E-AB towplanes for various (appropriate) weight/speed gliders.

Heck a Kolb Mark 3 with a 912 on it would be able to tow the GOAT series of glider, and create an entirely new "movement" where the GOAT can be slapped together within a month by an ultralight club and towed safely by any 912 or 582 powered UL.

Anyone who is at Oshkosh please stop by and give Murry (MM4440) a hearty COVID-safe handshake and thank him for his work promoting this concept of towplane permission. He's been pushing on this door for a long time, and it needs to be pushed open. This is genuinely the key to a whole sector of greatly reduced flying cost for people on a budget.

Last edited:

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mod note: I deleted four covid related posts. Please stay in topic.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
redacted due to OT

Back on topic, I vote for anything and everything that would allow the Western Workshop of the Experimental Soaring Association to continue in 2021, with the greatest reasonable amount of safety.

mm4440

Subject: ESA 2021 Western Workshop Plans

The Experimental Soaring Association's annual Western Workshop
will be held at a reduced scope due to Covid-19. The workshops will consist of informal open air gatherings and some presentations on Saturday Sept 4, 2021.

All events will be at Mountain Valley Airport (L94) in Tehachapi, CA and all events will be free of charge.

There will also be an informal Vintage Sailplane Association Regatta during the event.

We expect there will be a number of hangars open and available for viewing of the sailplanes and projects based at the airport.

We will join in for hangar dinners Friday and Saturday evenings, bring your own meal. We recommend CDC guidelines be followed.

All the commercial flying operations will be up and running as usual. See: mountainvalleyairport.com or call 661-822-5267.

For questions:

Murry Rozansky 818-590-4495

Al Bowers 661-583-6458

Jeff Byard 661-609-4848

Dan & Janice Armstrong 661-619-7750

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Let me buy it and get it in annual first!

Towing it with our CH-750 I presume...
Not much in the way of out-landing opportunities near KWHP. You might consider doing a tie-down at Skylark and flying your 172 down to visit/fly it. Last I heard, tie-downs are only $40/month there, and the same if you bring your own T-hangar. Lake Elsinore Soaring Club is a great bunch of guys, and you''d get tows from them.

Just a thought.

addicted2climbing

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I'm planning to fly in Saturday morning and spend the day there. Will depart before dark since I have been so busy have not flown at night in years. Any idea what time the BBQ is and if I can eat and be back to WHP before dark? I should have a seat available if anyone in Los Angeles wants to avoid driving. Meet me at WHP Topaz?

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
I'm planning to fly in Saturday morning and spend the day there. Will depart before dark since I have been so busy have not flown at night in years. Any idea what time the BBQ is and if I can eat and be back to WHP before dark? I should have a seat available if anyone in Los Angeles wants to avoid driving. Meet me at WHP Topaz?
While your offer is welcome and more than generous, I'll probably be driving all the way up Friday night and using the truck to get back and forth to the hotel. If I'm going to get out of the house, I might as well make a weekend of it. ;)

It'll be great to see you up there and reconnect. We should grab lunch on Saturday with VB, between sessions.

BoKu

Pundit
HBA Supporter
Unfortunately I won't be able to make it this year; I have a critical project for the Reno Air Races and I can't spare the two days it takes to get down and back. However, I could do a Zoom session with the group to talk about some of our recent projects and what's going on with the HP-24 sailplane and HP-26 project. Would that be of interest?

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
You haven't asked me how I propose we operate your new glider from WHP?
My understanding is that back in the 1960's, they used to soar the "smog wave". I'm not sure if that was the Santa Monica Mountains, or the San Gabriels, and I don't know where they launched and recovered from. Brieglibs and I-26s probably...

Even earlier, they soared the sand dunes at Pacific Palisades. When my mentor, Veeduber, was in Middle School, they would have to blow a whistle to get him out of the lift when it started getting too dark to safely recover him - this would have been in the 1940's, when LAX was still Mines Field. Not sure if he was in a Northrup Primary Glider (with a 100# pilot, capable of soaring in strong ridge lift) or maybe a Baby Bowlus. His dad worked for Donald Douglas in Santa Monica, after retiring from his Navy Career as a Biplane Rigger - they eliminated the rating when monoplanes took over.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Unfortunately I won't be able to make it this year; I have a critical project for the Reno Air Races and I can't spare the two days it takes to get down and back. However, I could do a Zoom session with the group to talk about some of our recent projects and what's going on with the HP-24 sailplane and HP-26 project. Would that be of interest?
Contact Murry or Jan. I think it would absolutely be of interest, Bob.

addicted2climbing

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Bummer... was hoping to see an HP24 in person...

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Unfortunately I won't be able to make it this year; I have a critical project for the Reno Air Races and I can't spare the two days it takes to get down and back.
Bob go be the hero and get someone across the finish line safely, while cheerfully sporting your "Just say NO to poverty" bumper sticker. We'll wait to see you next year.