• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Experimental/LSA to build time in?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwalker

Supporting Member
I feel like this is such a loaded question that I might regret asking, but-

If you were a low-time pilot, or, like me finishing up your PPL and wanting to build time, what would you buy?

I ask this because I had intended from the start to buy a Tomahawk, Cherokee, C150, etc. as a low cost time builder and sell it off down the road as an inexpensive way to build time before transitioning into the Dragonfly when its finished or a Long-EZ I might buy while building.
Obviously, the cost of these aircraft has gone through the roof and I really cannot justify the $50K or higher asking price that most of these types are trading at these days. When I was looking just a year and a half ago, I could have bought the same planes for $19-25K, with fewer hours. Honestly, its been a little frustrating, to say the least!
I have and am still considering a flying club, fractional ownership, or just renting, and those are all good options but I would really like to own.
That has lead me to consider an experimental. In my brain, this would be a VW or similarly powered two seater with dual controls, reasonably docile flight characteristics, potentially grass field capable, basic VFR panel, and low cost to fly, with a budget cap of lets say $25K. I have considered Sonerais, and lean towards them because I think they are cool, but maybe not the best time builder? Maybe a Zenith or Zodiac or something else would be a better, more economical choice? I admit my ignorance and any input and opinions are certainly welcome.

Back