Quantcast

Experimental Limitations

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Backwoodsman Pilot

Hello

I have a couple of questions pertaining to experimental aircraft.

1. If a pilot currently has a commercial license, can he be compensated while flying an experimental aircraft?

2. Can an experimental aircraft be used to log flight hours (PIC) towards a private, or commercial rating?

My thoughts were to fly an experimental aircraft after I get my private certificate to log solo hours toward my commercial certificate.

Blessings,

Mark

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
1, no, well, I guess a test pilot gets paid to fly an experimental aircraft, and you can pay a CFI to instruct you in your own experimental, but you can't use it to train others or carry paying passengers.
2, yes.

-Dana

Press any key to continue or any other key to quit...

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
A lot of pilots get payed for air shows flying experimental airplanes.
Yes, as long is you're not "carrying persons or property for compensation or hire" I guess it's OK. But that's kind of a limited market.

-Dana

Resist militant "normality" -- A mind is a terrible thing to erase.

Backwoodsman Pilot

Dana and Joe,

Thank you for your replies. Right now I am waiting on my ground school course. It's been 20 years since I went through ground school and I'm looking forward to getting my private certificate and other ratings. I've been looking at homebuilts since 1999 and still haven't decided on which kit to buy. :)

Blessings,

Mark

mcjon77

CFIs can get a special exemption from their local FSDO to be compensated for providing flight instruction in their airplane. Usually this involves providing transition training for pilots new to the airplane.

Example:
You are a CFI and you own an RV-8. You can apply for permission to give others flight instruction in your RV-8. This is especially valuable when an insurance provider requires that a new RV-8 owner receive some kind of transition training before they will sign off on the policy.

Rhino

Yes, as long is you're not "carrying persons or property for compensation or hire" I guess it's OK. But that's kind of a limited market.
Depends on the category. There is an experimental exhibition category too. Those are mostly warbirds, and I imagine they have a somewhat decent market for that.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
All the RV's except the RV-12 are E-AB. E-AB limits are whatever the builder says they are when he applies for the airworthiness certificate. LSA limits are 1320 lbs gross weight, 120 knots max, 45 knots max stall speed, two seats, single engine, fixed gear and prop.

-Dana

Be Politically Incorrect: Support the Constitution!

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
E-AB = Experimental-Amateur Built... your basic homebuilt airplane, where anything goes (as opposed to E-LSA, Experimental-Light Sport Aircraft, which can only be built from an approved kit with no modifications).

-Dana

Aviation has made the world a lot smaller, but it's still hard to miss it if you fall.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
... you can pay a CFI to instruct you in your own experimental, but you can't use it to train others or carry paying passengers...
I think Dana is right here and addresses what you are really asking. If you buy an experimental, you can pay an instructor to give you instruction in that plane (note that some instructors choose only to instruct in certified aircraft, so you may have to look around a bit).

As always you should look to the written regulations (or ask the FAA) to confirm this.

Bruce :)

Rhino

All the RV's except the RV-12 are E-AB.
At this point the RV-12 is also E-AB, and LSA eligible. Vans hasn't yet gotten approval to offer it as an E-LSA aircraft. It is currently available as an E-AB, and likely still will be after it is also offered as an E-LSA. There are advantages and disadvantages to both types. Vans discusses that on their RV-12 page.

Van's Aircraft - Aircraft Models: RV-12 Introduction

rpellicciotti

Aircraft in the Experimental Exhibition category cannot carry passengers for hire unless they have a waiver. Some large organizations (EAA, CAF, others) have these waivers.

Latest posts