• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

experimental help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomcatDave

hey guys.
obviously im new here with my second post so I will throw some background info out there if your interested.
I have always dreamed of flying since I was a kid and was never able to being that I grew up poor as hell and unable to go to college.
I joined the military at the age of 19 after watching top gun a few times (now i hate that movie)
I am an ex- navy airframer. worked on tomcats and superhornets.
only flight experience I got from the military was about 20 hours of simulator messing around with the officers
and I got a back seat ride in a tomcat shot off the catapult on the USS Enterprise...Needless to say a 10g pull from the Pilot screwing around with me made me go to sleep. HAHA!

The reason I have joined the forum is to get pointers and ideas from builders and pilots alike,.
Currently I am a student pilot and have only had a few hours with a cfi and never flown solo.
I plan on getting my private license as soon as time allows due to work taking my life away.

My goals are to get my PL and start building a plane.
But I need some project Ideas.

Generally speaking dollar signs matter the most to any build.
But lets face it. I am on a budget. Arent we all???:gig:
I am looking to get into a completed build for around $40k

I am not worried on the amount of hours a certain build or kit takes. I am a perfectionist at airframes and love the art that is behind it.
I also have about 9 months of power plant experience working on GE110's and other vehicle engines over a lifetime that I know my way around most motors.

I have concerns towards finding a dependable aircraft that will allow me to do the things i want it to do.

I am in search of the following
stall speed 70 mph or less
withstand 7 g's positive and negative
its obvious i want to do some aerobatic stuff eventually so the more g's the better
I want to be able to fly for 4 hours or more on a single sortie
cruise speed does not matter to me at all.. I was figuring around 150 and up???(open to suggestions)
im not into wood aircraft or bi planes.
I would like the ability to keep it light.
no vinyl epoxy......epoxy resin yes. carbons and composites yes.
not to sure on the price or installation of BRM (or whatever you call them) parachute packs, but I am huge on safety. you cant put a price on your life.

2 seater or one doesnt really matter.
I have already asked my wife about flying with me and she said "HELL NO" so ...hahahaha...two seater is optional.
I prefer that the landing gear is fixed.

shoot some ideas out there.

Some planes i dislike are the rv-6 through rv-8, hummel, procomposite, ect. I have been checking out pusher planes but havent found one that I like.
The ones I have found that I like are FAR FROM MY BUDGET....:dis:

thanks guys, and thanks for reading!

-Dave

Back