Experimental (ELSA / E-AB) No Longer Allowed for Flight Training??

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Robert Dingus

Ok, so how do those of us Student Pilots that bought an airplane so we can finish up and get our Sport Licenses proceed. And the distance to a legitimate site that has a Sport Aircraft is 2 or more hours away one way. I am now on my third written exam, that expires in October of this year. Am i totally hosed until the FAA gets their crap together. Or do i just say screw the Sport Program and go PPL.

No matter how you slice it, Aviation is being Killed by our own people in power.

The little guy gets squished like a bug again.

Robert

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok, so how do those of us Student Pilots that bought an airplane so we can finish up and get our Sport Licenses proceed.
Just keep training in your plane. The FAA isn't going to enforce the new interpretation while details are being worked out, unless you're selling rides in a limited category warbird.

Wanttaja

I don’t believe this applies to S-LSA aircraft because they are ‘factory’ certified aircraft. It applies to experimentals.
Actually, S-LSA is a sub-category under Special airworthiness, of which Limited and Experimental are also sub-categories. They are completely separate from Standard category airplanes.
1623957118182.png

Ron Wanttaja

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
S-LSA can be used for hire. The problem is they cost too much for ultralight or basic training.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
S-LSA can be used for hire. The problem is they cost too much for ultralight or basic training.
And is there a model that has been shown to survive the knocks inherent in daily flight school use? It seems the 1320 lbs MTOW limit, together with a reasonable useful load, just leaves too little structural ”beef" to survive the diet of botched landings and other outrages that a basic trainer is asked to (economically) survive. It sure didn't look like the Cessna 162 was gonna do it.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
And is there a model that has been shown to survive the knocks inherent in daily flight school use?
I don't know where you can even get basic ultralight training anymore. The Light Sport was supposed to be about the basic 496 pound, 87kt, two seat basic trainer. It didn't work out because they went with gross weight instead of empty weight.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
And is there a model that has been shown to survive the knocks inherent in daily flight school use? It seems the 1320 lbs MTOW limit, together with a reasonable useful load, just leaves too little structural ”beef" to survive the diet of botched landings and other outrages that a basic trainer is asked to (economically) survive. It sure didn't look like the Cessna 162 was gonna do it.
Cub clones.

TFF

The FAA was thinking fat UL and had no clue there were high performance composite comp aircraft. They threw in Ts and Cubs thinking what is a A65 Cub going to do. They have been catching up ever sense.

As for taking the written, don’t take it until the month before the check ride. Not ready for the check ride, no need to spend that money.

Robert Dingus

Ok, on the surface it looks like i am dead, i have the EAB Challenger 2 long wing. Experimental Amateur Built.
I could not afford the 30,000 + dollar factory built model, to ensure 100% ability to train legally.

Robert

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Find a retired instructor that will volunteer for free.
Or is willing to 'trade' for things he needs or needs to have done. If there are people openly laundering money on places like eBay by selling 10 cent items for hundreds of dollars there is some off book way to get the instruction needed.
It's just too bad we have to resort to such tactics because some bureaucrat has an agenda or a burr under his saddle.

Robert Dingus

I'm trying to check with a source in the Sport Pilot trade, to find out if this is real for us locally and how are they handling it, as an insider to this thing.

if they tell me its real, then I may have only one option open to me and that is PPL. Or sell what I have and just give up. I don't want to give up, I have a great aircraft that is paid for, and cost less than a used car, so completing any license that gets me in the air, may be the best option it means more hoops to jump through, the initial medical, another Ground School for the PPL, as i have taken the sport test 3 times in the last 6 years, its starting to feel like a viscous cycle, of pay to play period.

i am struggling as well with any CFI willing to use my craft as well, and the retired ones I know who were CFI wont assist at all not even for trades for work or cash donations (so its not for services rendered etc.)

Robert

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
You'd still be able to train as a sport pilot, Robert. You just wouldn't (presumably) be able to train in an LSA, nor would you be able to train with an instructor who only has a sport pilot license. It would have to be a 'certified' aircraft and a PPL or higher instructor. I have serious doubts it will result in that because it means eliminating an entire class of instructors and gutting parts of the regulations, most notably 61.413. I'm not saying they can't do that, or that they haven't done anything nonsensical like that in the past. I just don't think that'll be the end result here because it will have a serious negative impact on private aviation.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sport Pilot CFIs are still training around here. I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure the wording of the ruling isn't what the FAA expected or wanted, and they'll find a way to let legitimate training continue.

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
Sport Pilot CFIs are still training around here. I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure the wording of the ruling isn't what the FAA expected or wanted, and they'll find a way to let legitimate training continue.
That's my hope, and undoubtedly the hope of many others.