Experimental (ELSA / E-AB) No Longer Allowed for Flight Training??

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Daleandee

No LODA should be required in that case. A student pilot exercising solo privileges is acting as PIC; no instruction is taking place and no compensation is being given to anyone.
I agree and believe this is (or should be) the correct interpretation. Still there is the fact of the student now flying under a signoff from an instructor that was compensated by the student for the endorsement to fly solo.

I was serious about asking for a friend as I didn't want to see someone I know get caught up in some idiotic technicality ... :rolleyes:

Robert Dingus

I got my LODA for my EAB challenger 2, long wing. now if i could only find an instructor willing to fly in my aircraft, its amazing how many Private rated CFI's there are that have never sat their butts in anything other than GA aircraft.

i have contacted 5 FBO's in my immediate area and an have zero results, it should be mandatory for any CFI worth a darn to have some experience in any aircraft EAB or otherwise just below commercial building to have seat time to help all people not just the ones seeking Private. (note: closest Sport Aircraft for training is 2 1/2 hours away, oh an by the way is closed down until roughly September some time.

Robert Dingus (have plane cannot fly without the proper 90 day endorsements) unless i go roque of course harms us all.

Robert Dingus

yes i am complaining as GA FBO's dont give 2 cents about anyone less than a Private Pilot.

I my opinnion they should be kissing the butt of every Sport Pilot on the planet, that groups safety record is how we go to Basic Med, and saved their world.

Robert Dingus

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Do the folks at the Quad City Challenger Owners Association know of a CFI near you?

Robert Dingus

Thank you for pointing that site to me, i just went over and joined, i believe i know one of the moderators already.

i will see what happens.

Robert Dingus

TFF

So we are for communism for CFIs. Sport pilot operates outside of making a living with a plane which is anyone sitting in a flight school. No one risks their livelihood, and a CFI is at the beginning of the journey not the end. You choose not to go to McDonald’s, they choose not to be a part of it. No one wants to sit in your plane, is a similar choice. I’m not against you, but you are crying when you knew the system you joined.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Best to find a flight instructor with a sport pilot rating. (61.401)

61.429 seems to exclude airplane CFI excercising sport pilot privileges?

Last edited:

PagoBay

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Oh nice.
That only clarifies that a commercial pilot (instructor) cannot receive compensation.
It just stuns me the level of regulations to stop private aviation or any sort of business activity.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
^^ not so sure??

(a) In general.—A certificated flight instructor providing student instruction, flight instruction, or flight training shall not be deemed to be operating an aircraft carrying persons or property for compensation or hire.
<< >>
(c) Use of aircraft.—An individual who uses, causes to use, or authorizes to use aircraft for flights (that would be me or any other aircraft owner) conducted under subsection (a) or (b) shall not be deemed to be operating an aircraft carrying persons or property for compensation or hire.
-------------------------------
So if I were to loan my aircraft to a friend to take lessons but I charge him for the use to cover my expenses ............. as long as he uses it under the direction of the A certificated flight instructor providing student instruction, flight instruction, or flight training I, or any other individual (Individual includes LLCs) shall not be deemed to be operating an aircraft carrying persons or property for compensation or hire.

Looks to me like it opens up a whole lot of possibilities that we didn't have before?

Marc Zeitlin

Exalted Grand Poobah
That only clarifies that a commercial pilot (instructor) cannot receive compensation...
If you're referring to the short bill, that's not at all what it says. The bill clarifies that flight instruction or testing is not to be considered carrying persons or property for compensation or hire, meaning that if the CFI/test pilot is paid, that's legal. That's the whole point of the bill - what they're doing is NOT prohibited as "for compensation or hire".

It's exactly what's needed to fix this nonsense, and clarifies both instruction (ANY instruction) and flight testing (although that's less clearly spelled out, except in the prologue.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
I think it should say a commercial pilot CAN receive compensation for hire in any aircraft. Period.
Look, I spent a small fortune to get a commercial certificate to give tour rides that is worthless.

Last edited:

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Regardless of what we think the bill states all that really matters is what the regulations the FAA comes up with in .....180 days? 🤥 say .......and how they actually apply them.
Raptor NG may fly, per specs, before this gets resolved the way we would like. :(

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I think it should say a commercial pilot CAN receive compensation for hire in any aircraft. Period.
Look, I spent a small fortune to get a commercial certificate to give tour rides that is worthless.
You could have bought a nice airplane for the same money.

BJC

HBA Supporter
For what sort of plane and was it to give or receive instruction in your homebuilt?
Letter of Deviation Authority
Deviation Authority for Conducting Flight Training in Experimental Category Aircraft (14 CFR Section 91.319 (h))
A. The owner (or delegate) or authorized instructor listed at the bottom of this document is authorized this Letter of Deviation Authority (LODA) in accordance with the provisions of Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Section 91.319(h) to the extent necessary to receive or provide aircraft-specific training in an aircraft certificated in the experimental category in accordance with the limitations and provisions of this LODA.
The authorizations granted by this LODA are limited in scope to the Notification of Policy for Flight Training in Certain Aircraft (published in the Federal Register on July 12, 2021).
B. Aircraft. A flight instructor is authorized to exercise the privileges of this LODA in any experimental aircraft for which he or she is qualified to provide flight training. The owner or operator is authorized to receive flight training in the following aircraft:
Table 1 – Aircraft
Aircraft Registration Number(s) (Owner Only)

Aircraft Make(s)/Model(s) (Experimental Only) (Owner Only)
Glasair Aviation Sportsman 2+2.

BJC