• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Experimental aircraft purchase - Do I need to pay sales tax and how? (California USA)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Built2Fly

I am buying a small experimental aircraft in California USA. The price is around $6000. It is a registered N-numbered aircraft so I will have it registered under my name when I have it.

My question is: do I need to pay the sales tax? Do I just wait for the bill to come from the state agency, or do I pay for the tax when I register it under my name, or is there some other ways to deal with it, or nobody will bother with it at all? Does FAA collect state sales tax (DMV for cars issue me a state license plate, but FAA is not a state agency)?

It is the first aircraft purchase for me so I am a little bit confused. Any help or personal experience is very much appreciated.

Back